Monday, September 4, 2017

Ears to Hear; Heart to Obey

Monday, September 4, 2017
“Write this letter to the angel of the church in Sardis.  This is the message from the one who has the sevenfold Spirit of God and the seven stars:
“I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive—but you are dead.  Wake up!  Strengthen what little remains, for even what is left is almost dead.  I find that your actions do not meet the requirements of my God.  Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly.  Repent and turn to me again.  If you don’t wake up, I will come to you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief.  “Yet there are some in the church in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes with evil.  They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy.  All who are victorious will be clothed in white.  I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that they are mine.  “Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches.  Revelation 3:1-6(NLT)
If there is one passage in Scripture that is scary beyond belief, for me it is this one.  I’m not referring to the glorious white clothing of the struggling saints.  I’m not thinking of a name written indelibly in the Book of Life.  I’m staring at a false reputation.
The church at Sardis had a reputation that they were alive, serving God with every bit of their strength, but their reputation was for the past; they had long since ceased to deserve the title servant; theirs was a false reputation.
The church in the 21st century might take a hard look at this.  Nearly 90% of America's churches are either plateaued or declining in membership.  You cannot decline without somehow decaying, and, eventually deceasing
Our text tells us that Christianity in the church and the individual Christian can die.  The programs and services can be staffed and performed, but without life.  The blower in the furnace is on, but the fire has long since been extinguished!  Someone has said that if the Holy Spirit left most churches today, she wouldn't be missed. 
As a pastor and student of Scripture, one who is charged with leading others to know Christ, I have had the privilege to spend much time immersed in the things of God.  On the other side of that coin lies the responsibility I face to not only discharge that duty, but to be faithfully persistent in that work, always, as Paul said[2], pressing forward towards the target of Christ as my character. 
This is why I’m bothered whenever I hear this part of John’s Revelation message to Sardis, about a false reputation.  Pastors are really subject to this enigma of trying to remain humble while people in churches, with best intentions, lift you to a place that sets your ego up for a fall.  In the churches I’ve served people have always been very kind to shower me with loving comments about doing a great job, or wonderful sermon, pastor, or some other nugget of praise I store up in my basket of warm memories.   
Now, I know Russell, and that man can live for weeks on a simple compliment.  The problem is addiction; one can become so joined to praise, deserved or not, that it becomes your reason for breathing.  And when that happens, you do things to bring praise…more praise…instant praise…higher praise.  And then you begin to believe your press reports, and that’s when the self-opinion poll in which you imagine you’re the greatest asset God ever had becomes your reputation…and it’s firmly-entrenched in your thinking.  You have become a legend in your own mind!
That’s what scares me about this passage, and, frankly, I’m glad it does.  I’m glad I worry about living a life of basking in a reputation of well-done, when deep down I know you’re only done (well or poorly), when He calls you home.  This is what keeps me pushing – pressing every day to that mark of the high calling in Jesus Christ.

For You Today

John said anyone can hear with ears ; the real test is whether we will understand and obey with our hearts…and feet!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!



[1] Title Image: Pixabay.com here and here
[2] Philippians 3:14

No comments:

Post a Comment