Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Bread of Life

Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life.  Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again.  Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.  But you haven’t believed in me even though you have seen me.  However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them.  For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will.  And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day.  For it is my Father’s will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day.  
John 6:35-40(NLT)
This morning let’s look at what Jesus said about the Father’s will, a few statements that Jesus made to those who rejected Him…statements about those who accept Him.

He Won’t Reject You

…those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them.
Many people have made a wreck of their lives, and, believing that God could never accept a person as sinful as they are, refuse to make the one step of repentance that will lead to forgiveness.  God has promised that all who come with a repentant heart, the broken heart, the surrendered will, may come into the family. 
He will not reject you – He died for you!

He Won’t Neglect You

And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me
I have known so many people who imagine that God’s forgiveness is so fragile that it can break and fade.  People walk around praising God today for the fact that salvation is free, and grace is sufficient.  The next day they are wondering if it has run out of warranty.  The problem with people in this group is they are operating on feelings, and not the assurance of the Word of God.  He promised, I will never leave you, or forsake you.[2] If He will not reject you, He will also not neglect to hold onto you. 
Dr. F. B. Meyer once told about a Sunday school superintendent who asked his class, who can tell me what a yoke is?  Something they put on the necks of animals, answered a ten-year- old girl.   Then, asked the leader, what is God's yoke?  There was silence until a four-year-old raised his hand and said, God, putting His arms around our neck.
He will not reject, will not neglect, but...

He Will Resurrect You

…raise them up at the last day
Resurrection is not only the theme of Christianity, it is the center.  Without the resurrection of Jesus, we have no reason to celebrate, or hope.  When it comes down to it you either believe in the resurrection or you do not.
All these questions have the same answer; find the common thread:
·      What is it that gives a widow courage as she stands beside a fresh grave?
·      What is the ultimate hope of the cripple, the amputee, the abused?
·      How can the parents of brain-damaged or physically handicapped children keep from living their entire lives totally and completely depressed?
·      Why would anyone who is blind or deaf or paralyzed be encouraged when they think of the life beyond?
·      How can we see past the martyrdom of some helpless hostage?
·      When a family receives the tragic news that a little daughter was found dead or their dad was killed in a plane crash or a son overdosed on drugs, what single truth becomes their whole focus?
·      What is the final answer to pain, mourning, senility, insanity, terminal diseases, sudden calamities, and fatal accidents?
By now you have guessed correctly; it’s the hope of bodily resurrection.  That is the Father’s will.  And Jesus came to make that possible.
For You Today
When you place your faith (all your hope, trust and entire existence) in Jesus Christ, that hope extends into the endless eternity beyond time and space; you are part of a family God will build and bless forever. 
This world will pass away, replaced by the New Jerusalem, New Heavens, and New Earth.  Like the Apostle Paul wrote[3], our faith is in the resurrection of Christ as our sure hope; He died, but He rose again…and said we would too!  He is the bread of LIFE!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day. 

Go to VIDEO


[1] Title Image:  Courtesy of Pixabay.com
[2] Hebrews 13:5
[3] 1 Corinthians 15:19

No comments:

Post a Comment