Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I Will Lift Up My Eyes to the Hills

Wednesday, March 12, 2014
I lift up my eyes to the hills—from where will my help come?  My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.  He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.  He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.  The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade at your right hand.  The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.  The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.  The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore.  Psalms 121:1 - 8 (NRSVA)
Have you ever asked yourself a question out loud?  And found the answer before you finished asking the question?

The Psalmist posed the question, but the answer came right back.  He knew that the help in life for all of his questions and fears was the LORD.  He said MY help comes from God.  The Psalmist was saying for anyone who could hear, I put my trust in God to speak to life’s difficulties.  And he wasn’t talking about just any God; he said it’s the One who created heaven and earth

God Our Preserver is a wonderful hymn; it was penned by Isaac Watts more than 300 years ago.  The first verse says:


Upward I lift mine eyes,
From God is all my aid;
The God that built the skies,
And earth and nature made


In the early days of North Carolina the Native Americans around Mt Airy navigated by the sight of Pilot Mountain.  That rock sticks up from the ground and you can see it for forty miles around.  I rode from there across the Virginia Line and could see Pilot Mountain all the way from Meadows of Dan on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

When God created us He made certain we have the stamp of His image on our souls, our character and on our minds; we know He is there. 

This is the focus of the season of Lent; we know He is there.  And so it is our choice…we can SAY MY help comes from the Lord, because He’s MY God!

Today…for you

Take time to re-focus on the source of all your help.  


No comments:

Post a Comment