Monday, July 28, 2014

Trinity

Monday, July 28, 2014


One of my early mentors in the faith used to say to me, “Russell, if you ever meet somebody who tells you he understands the Trinity of God, grab your hat and run….fast! You’re in the presence of a fool or a madman.”

It’s been a lot of years since I first heard that; I still think it’s true!

As a person who studies Scripture, preaches it, and does his very best to let God inform every part of who I am, with what I need to know, to be the best servant I can be…I can honestly say only this about the Trinity of God: I can give you textbook and common understanding about the Trinity. And I can give you what the master scholars say about the Trinity of God; I just can’t say with a straight face that I completely understand the Trinity of God.

Like the great old hymn[1] of the church says:

   Holy Father, Holy Son,
   Holy Spirit, Three we name Thee;
   While in essence only One,
   Undivided God we claim Thee;
   And adoring bend the knee,
   While we own the mystery.

This is where I am – it is a “MYSTERY” – and I own it; I admit, confess, embrace and re-tell it, this mystery of a Triune God, three persons, yet one; one person, yet three.

To attempt to explain the Trinity existential reality of God, other than just to name it, claim it and rest in it…is futile! This is a mystery you will not solve, except as you surrender your heart and life to Him and God gives you peace in your heart that it is true.

Garfield the cat is a favorite cartoon character of mine. (He explains a lot of deep theology). Once, Garfield was hanging upside down in a tree. He let go, and was falling, falling, falling…UPSIDE down! A split-second before impact at ground zero, the cat flips-over (like cats do), lands softly on all fours…looks out at you and says: Don’t ask me how I do it…I just does it!

Scientists may be able to explain the inner ear anti-upside-down device cats seem to possess, and their uncanny spinal flexibility that allows them a greater denial of gravity than you and I, but nobody will ever truly grasp the deepest mystery of God’s sovereign and eternal Trinitarian existence. That is one of those mysteries you’d better be ready to accept by faith if you want to be His child!

For You, Today…

Here’s what to do with nagging doubts about the Trinity, resurrection, why there is evil, and the rest. Give yourself to God and let Him do the worrying!

I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee, exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.[2]





[1] Holy God, We Praise Thy Name, GROSSER GOTT, Words: Ignaz Franz, MUSIC: KatholischesGesangbuch
[2] John Wesley Covenant Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment