Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Better View

Thursday, February 12, 2015
So one night the king of Aram sent a great army with many chariots and horses to surround the city.  When the servant of the man of God got up early the next morning and went outside, there were troops, horses, and chariots everywhere.  “Oh, sir, what will we do now?” the young man cried to Elisha.  “Don’t be afraid!” Elisha told him.  “For there are more on our side than on theirs!”  Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!”   The Lord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire.                             2 Kings 6:14-17 (NLT)
I drove into the K-Mart parking lot in Jacksonville, Florida and parked at the wrong end of the store.  I was halfway in the wrong entrance by the time I realized that what I wanted was on the other side of the building (which covered about three square miles!)
I turned away from the door and walked the sidewalk towards the right entry way and noticed a pale blue Ford parked along the walkway, facing away from me. 
It looked familiar!
As I approached the car from the back I noticed the back of the driver’s rather shiny head also looked quite familiar; I’d seen the back of that head during many a worship service.  It was Kyle, our music minster obviously waiting for his wife, Nancy, to come back out of the store. 
Hatching my plan quickly, I crept up to the passenger side and leaned on the trunk – several times – up and down, up and down.  The car was rocking that bald-headed man like a bobble-head you see in car windows.  When I figured I’d made Kyle as seasick as possible, I stopped and peeked in the passenger window with a grin like a Cheshire cat. 
At that moment I came face to face with a man I’d never seen before.
He looked at me and growled, Whatever yer sellin’, I don’t want none!
Sometimes it pays to take a good long look before you act; it always pays to have your spiritual eyes opened.
That’s what Gehazi, the servant of Elisha, found out.  He could see the physical army in front of him and figured he and his master, Elisha were toast; he had no clue God’s angel troops far outnumbered the enemy.  Chariots of holy fire outweigh earthly tanks, cruise missiles and drones.
And that is always the point when it comes to faith in God.  To truly understand and appreciate God’s care means walking by faith-sight, not eyesight.

For You Today

You may miss much of what God does in looking out for you today. 
But think how much better your service to the Lord will be if your spiritual eyesight is 20/20.
Pray for God to open the eyes of your heart!



[1] By Japalac, via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment