Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Hanging-in There...or Just Hanging?

Wednesday, August 16, 2017
I pray to you, O Lord, my rock.  Do not turn a deaf ear to me.  For if you are silent, I might as well give up and die.  Listen to my prayer for mercy as I cry out to you for help, as I lift my hands toward your holy sanctuary.
Praise the Lord!  For he has heard my cry for mercy.  The Lord is my strength and shield.  I trust him with all my heart.  He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy.  I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. 
Psalm 28:1-2, 6-7(NLT)
David went through rough waters in his lifetime, some of his own making, and some just because…well, you know, stuff happens!  Either way, when the stuff you’re going through gets deep enough, if you haven’t been praying, you will start! 
David was a praying man, so I rather believe he was like my sister in Christ, Donna, who once told me she never had to say “Amen” because she had so much to pray about, the conversation between her and Jesus never closed down.  God takes note of that!
The disciples waited until the storm got really scary:
Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples.  Suddenly, a fierce storm struck the lake, with waves breaking into the boat.  But Jesus was sleeping.  The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”  Jesus responded, “Why are you afraid?  You have so little faith!”  Then he got up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly there was a great calm.  The disciples were amazed.  “Who is this man?” they asked.  “Even the winds and waves obey him!” 
Matthew 8:23-27(NLT)
The difference between hanging-in there and just hanging, is the difference between David’s calm trust, and the disciples’ frantic, panicky yelps!  David states his fate is in God’s hands, and he would trust the LORD completely.  The disciples were incredulously shouting their disbelief over the noise of the waves.
I try to remember that.
I’m in a bit of deep water at the moment, so the difference between hanging and hanging-in there, is a matter I cannot ignore.  When I saw the picture my friend Anne posted of her Grandson David posed in one of his balancing feats, it immediately struck me that he was really chilling-out, and that, mostly, because he was only 3” off the floor.  There’s a difference when you can’t fall far.
But that’s the whole issue about hanging-in; even when you can fall as far as the grave, if you’re willing to trust like David, the outcome is not an issue; the issue is just WHO is the one doing the balancing act. 
As many have found out, it makes little difference how deep or rough the waters may get when you’re in the boat with Jesus (or even walking ON the water with Him).

For You Today

Hanging-in, or Hung-out to dry…just make sure to breathe…Jesus has this!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!



[1] Title Image:  Courtesy Anne Mehrling and Grandson David

No comments:

Post a Comment