Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Listening To the Light


Wednesday, May 30, 2018
Then Jesus asked them, “Would anyone light a lamp and then put it under a basket or under a bed?  Of course not!  A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light will shine.  For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light.  Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.”  Then he added, “Pay close attention to what you hear.  The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given—and you will receive even more.  To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given.  But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.”   Mark 4:21-25NLT)
“Always ready” – that’s the man who was little of stature and big of heart.  Let me tell you how I think my friend Clarence Pugh was “always ready”:
Always Ready to Help-out
Clarence had just turned 85 when I met him.  That’s an age when most men are willing to let others do the work.  Yet, the next year, when the call went out for participants in our unusual pageant “Jerusalem Walk”, Clarence was among the first to volunteer.  

He didn’t know exactly what a “Jerusalem Walk” was, but he was ready to help out.  He was among the first to sign-up.  
And he volunteered for one of the “bad-guy” parts.  
He was willing to be the despised cross-maker who made the instrument of death for Jesus.  Not only that – he convinced his son-in-law to be his assistant.
He hardly knew what to say….but boy did that change.  Given half a chance, this quiet man from Franklinville would witness to a post.  He loved God and was ready to let anyone know just how good his God treated him. 
Always Ready to Pray
In decades of ministry I’ve had opportunity to see people at their worst and best.  I’ve heard most of the bad stuff people have ever done, (or just hadn’t gotten around to doing, but wishing they had).  One thing I’d never experienced is somebody jumping the gun on the preacher in prayer.  

I discovered just how impressively-ready was Clarence’s praying heart the first time I visited him at his home.  For some time he showed me the projects he and Mabel had crafted! 
When it was time for me to go I asked if we could have prayer together; he said, “That’ll be fine”.  We joined hands, bowed our heads and…before I could get out a syllable, Clarence began to pray.  Talk about a man ready to pray…we stopped probably 30 minutes later, after he’d prayed by name for most of the people we knew, as well as the president and his church, family, friends and half the county.  When he finally said “Amen” all I could say was “Uh-huh!”
Some prayers are designed in seminaries; some are formed in heaven and snuck into the hearts of those who are willing to be ready, instant, in-season and out, to give a witness of the hope that lies within. 
Clarence carved the lighthouse – a pretty close replica of the one at Currituck.  He gave it to me as a present a dozen years ago, and I carted it to worship this past Sunday to teach the children about being the “light of the world”.  Visiting that lighthouse last month on vacation made me think of my little cross-making, praying, always ready friend.  I miss his gentle spirit and kindness, but I have learned to listen to that light he carried around with him.
For You Today
Do you listen to the light? 
Good.  Just don’t put it under a basket; it’s meant to be shared!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day. 

Go to VIDEO


[1] Images:  Russell Brownworth (own work)

No comments:

Post a Comment