Wednesday, June 26, 2019

A Closer Look

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine.  Test yourselves.  Surely you know that Jesus Christ is among you; if not, you have failed the test of genuine faith.  As you test yourselves, I hope you will recognize that we have not failed the test of apostolic authority.  We pray to God that you will not do what is wrong by refusing our correction.  I hope we won’t need to demonstrate our authority when we arrive.  Do the right thing before we come—even if that makes it look like we have failed to demonstrate our authority.  For we cannot oppose the truth, but must always stand for the truth.  We are glad to seem weak if it helps show that you are actually strong. We pray that you will become mature.  I am writing this to you before I come, hoping that I won’t need to deal severely with you when I do come.  For I want to use the authority the Lord has given me to strengthen you, not to tear you down.  2 Corinthians 13:5-10

Nobody really likes examinations.  We may grow to appreciate the value of an examination to see where we stand, but who really enjoys it?  In the opening four sentences of Paul’s message he uses the word “test” or “examination” five times.  He could not have been very popular with the folks at Corinth! 
In high school, I had way too many exams for a student who thought studying was cruel and unusual punishment.  And subjects like geometry, science, and my third year taking Introduction to German…well, let’s just say breakfast on exam day seemed like what the condemned man got as his last meal.  I once had a teacher in eleventh grade who was pop-quiz-happy.  I got so sick of it that one day when he was walking into the class he hadn’t even put down his briefcase, and he began spouting the hated words:  take out a half-sheet of paper, class.  I obediently grabbed a sheet and did what he said, I took it OUT…out of the class…all the way to the General Store to drown my sorrow in a root beer float.
As much as I’m not fond of tests, I know they’re necessary; especially in the spiritual realm. 
Paul’s concern for the Corinthian believers led him to encourage them to self-test to see if their faith was genuine.  History informs us the Corinth bunch were people whose belief and behavior were hardly on speaking terms.  Paul’s not-so-subtle approach was of genuine apostolic care for their souls to remind them that saying you’re a Christian means very little if you won’t live it. 
How painfully true.  Back at Hauppauge High School, if you check the records for 1961-65, you’ll find Russell was listed as a student…but his performance hardly passed the test!
For You Today
If you get a little nervous every time you read a Scripture that deals with how your behavior ought to be consistent with your belief, it might be a good thing to follow Paul’s admonition to check how much effect Jesus’ influence is having on your daily walk.  Write it down…that’s right…take out a half-sheet of paper…
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day.

Go to VIDEO


[1] Title Image:  Pixabay.com     Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are from The New Living Translation©

No comments:

Post a Comment