Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Cost of a Prayer

Friday, November 8, 2019

O Lord, hear my plea for justice.  Listen to my cry for help.  Pay attention to my prayer, for it comes from honest lips.  Declare me innocent, for you see those who do right.  You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night.  You have scrutinized me and found nothing wrong.  I am determined not to sin in what I say.  I have followed your commands, which keep me from following cruel and evil people.  My steps have stayed on your path; I have not wavered from following you.  I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God.  Bend down and listen as I pray.  Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways.  By your mighty power you rescue those who seek refuge from their enemies.  Guard me as you would guard your own eyes.  Hide me in the shadow of your wings.  Protect me from wicked people who attack me, from murderous enemies who surround me.       Psalm 17:1-9[2]

I am asked virtually every day to pray for people.  Sometimes it comes via email or text; often it is in church, or an urgent phone call.  It’s said in many ways: 
·      Pastor, please pray for my   (fill in the blank) .    
·      Say a little prayer for   (fill in the blank)  . 
·        (fill in the blank)  needs prayer.
What shall we say this morning about the cost of those prayers?  And right away our thought goes to currency, or payback…but that’s never the cost of our prayer.  However, the condition of answers to prayer does come into play here.  David offers his heart to God for scrutiny as a condition of why his prayers ought to be answered. 
When you consider that David spent many months hiding from King Saul’s murderous rage, after David had faithfully served the king (and became a target for his faithfulness), it is no wonder this future king is hiding in a cave, looking up to God, crying out for a miracle:  God, I served Saul because you sent me there; I served and even loved him; I didn’t do anything to harm him and now he wants me dead…God….please!
I don’t believe David was pointing to his own righteousness or goodness and demanding God’s favor.  David is pouring out his heart’s allegiance to God, recounting how his life belongs to God, not just by virtue of God being the Creator (although that is sufficient in itself).  Rather, David’s connection with God is also by choice.  In the long nights as a shepherd defending his father’s sheep, David trusted God.  Standing before Goliath, David honored God.  In battle on King Saul’s behalf, David fiercely defended Saul’s kingdom.  In Saul’s court David sang healing songs of comfort to his king on the verge of madness.  And even when presented with opportunity in a dark cave to put an end to Saul’s threatening, David served God’s way…never the easy way.
And now David lifts his voice and asks God to hide him under God’s wings.  The cost of a prayer is fidelity to God, a heart turned heavenward in commitment to God’s lovingkindness.
In seminary one of the classes had a week or so of concentration on how preachers should pray.  There’s a flow of adoration, confession, thanksgiving, and supplication.  That is a matter of mechanics, construction of words and phrases that make our words fit together so those in worship can understand and join in.  But mechanics can never replace the cost of a prayer – a life surrendered to holy God.
For You Today
What you pray for, the words you use, and the purpose for which you’re praying are all part of how the answer will be constructed in Heaven.  Every prayer, even the little thank you before you eat that burger carries with it a cost.  And Christ placed everything you need to pay the bill on a cross outside of Jerusalem.  So, if you want to live a life that has answered prayers manifested every day, let your life soak in the blood at the foot of that cross before you even think about praying.
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO 


[1] Title Image:  Pixabay.com      Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©
[2] For another post on this text see:  Righteous or Boastful?see also:  Liturgy of Light in Dark Places

No comments:

Post a Comment