Monday, February 15, 2021

Peace in the Pandemic

 

Monday, February 15, 2021

I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”  John 16:33

Billy Graham said I know where I’ve come from.  I know why I’m here.  I know where I’m going- and I have peace in my heart.  His peace floods my heart and overwhelms my soul![1]

This was shared as part of Dr. Graham’s last public message; I think it makes perfect sense of the foundational need of every human being, particularly during this season of angst.  Let’s unpack the three greatest questions of human existence, and the reality which answers all of them.

1.    The Question of Origin – where did I come from?

Charles Darwin spent his life looking for the answer to this question and has been a major influence on humanity’s thinking for several generations.  But his thesis of natural selection misses the mark somewhat.  He posits how we evolved, but not the deeper question of how there was any beginning point…in short, what was life’s origin that eventually evolved into what we are now?  It matters little if you are “old earth” or “young earth” in your thinking; the real question is, whatever age the earth is, and its inhabitants, how did the earth get here.  For Billy Graham, the answer is:  

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.  Genesis 1:1.

2.    The Question of Purpose – why am I here?

Once the question of origin is settled, that we are here by God’s creative hand, it becomes possible to address the question of purpose.  From human existence we glean that every creation begins with a purpose of the Creator.  A clock maker creates a clock to display time.  A computer programmer designs a system to make sense of data.  God also has a design for us, a purpose.  That purpose is to explore God and pursue relationship with God and His creation.  Jesus summed this up in his statement to the disciples:  that you may have peace in me.  “That” is the word of explanation – all this because of that.

3.    The Question of Destination – where am I going?

This great question of destination is a troubling reminder that we are nomads, simply travelers on this planet.  Our moment in time is fleeting, and we have somewhere else to be.  To be on a journey and not know where you’re headed is tragic and empties the journey of any joy. 

In the message Dr. Graham gave he told of Albert Einstein on a train.  The conductor was making his rounds, asking passengers to show their tickets.  Einstein couldn’t find his, but the conductor assured him he recognized the great man.  Einstein’s reply was:  Young man, I also know who I am; I must find my ticket to remember where I’m going.  Again, Jesus has that answer for those who are willing to follow:

When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.  John 14:3

4.    The Question of Peace – how then shall I live?

This question surrounds the first three and becomes our daily living-out of the answers.  How do we live, considering our origin, purpose, and our destination?  We live in love, loving God, and loving the other 7.8 billion souls with which we share God’s gift of life.  This is what Jesus told us when this question was asked:

Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’  This is the first and greatest commandment.  A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”  Matthew 22:37-40

For You Today

The Coronavirus pandemic works against peace – just look at the public angst and outbursts of anger and violence.  It is a sure sign that we have trouble agreeing on an answer to the three great questions of our existence and purpose, and how to work out any of it. 

Peace will never be achieved by politics, wars, or economic advances; real peace that overcomes pandemic worry is for anyone who will come to Christ in humble faith.  It’s above our pay grade, but it is free for all.

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!

[1] Title Image: Pixabay.com    Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©



[1] Saturday Snapshot – Billy Graham on Peace (The Cove Blog)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment