Monday, October 25, 2021

 

Monday, October 25, 2021

Praise the Lord!  For he has heard my cry for mercy.  The Lord is my strength and shield.  I trust him with all my heart.  He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy.  I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.  Psalm 28:6-7

I have just informed my church that this conference year will be my last.  It’s the strangest thing to be going through a most difficult time, a time when I have not received any definitive answers about my health, and about what might be ahead.  Other than continuing to write, and….just continuing to breathe…I have few answers or a grand plan.  The future doesn’t look bleak…just unclear, unknown, and that (for most people…including yours truly…is unnerving at best).

And yet, there is this sense of abiding joy.  I know the source of this settled, unwavering trust; throughout the last forty years of ministry the tough times and glad times have been filled with it!  My family has never enjoyed an abundance of material riches, but our needs have always been supplied.  There have been numerous glitches to health and financial plans.  Not every attempt to serve was an overwhelming success.  And yet, the joy.

For me the consistent factor in all of life’s joys, sorrows, gladness, and confusion, has been the echoing answer of God’s mercy.  And whenever I fully-rest in that mercy, God has always taught me to trust…and, whatever the outcome (from a human perspective)…it always ends up the same way…praise, joy, and the song of thanksgiving.  I wind-up giving God the glory for His glorious condescension; the great God of the universe taking time to hear me and care for me.

For You Today

What unnerves you?  Is it financial pitfalls?  Is it relationship gone sour?  Is it job security vanishing into thin air?  Is it any other of a thousand things that can go wrong?

If the future is unclear, take a look into the past, and see where God has been watching over you, calling to you, wanting nothing from you, except everything.  In Christ, God gave you everything, and His investment is still certain.  His love is still there.  His unfailing goodness and mercy still track your days.  Spend some time there today and see if your heart doesn’t burst with joy.

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!   


[1] Title and Other Images:  Pixabay.com  Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment