Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Andijic in a Dream

                                                                                   Free Image by Pete Linforth from Pixabay

I was told that Alzheimer’s medication[1] will stir the pot of dreams.  I thought, go ahead and try…I’m a man who has not had more than a handful of dreams in 80 years of sleeping!  Sometimes I wish I hadn’t dared my sleep governor so boldly. 

I’m having dreams of two different natures; one kind is somewhat mild, insignificant, but pleasant, and the other is weird or simply strange, but darker and powerfully dramatic.  I’ve decided, due to the disturbing nature of the intense, darker dreams, whatever my mind is trying to tell me, or urge me to work through, I am going to welcome the pleasant ones as amusement, and be careful with the darker versions; they might be deep issues repressed for years, or the anguish of grief making sense of how to wrestle with my losses in life.  Whatever they all are, they happen!  And I dreamed again last night; I not only dreamed, but I also remembered it…in detail

Normally I dream about people and places, with conversations and things that easily identify either issues or other-worldly concepts that bug me.  Some make me wake-up with a smile on my face.

Last night was not one of those dreams!  Last night was a full-on, pitch-black, you think you know how dark humanity can be?….Well, take a look at THIS kind of dream!

The Dream

The dream was of a river running through a mountainous region.  I was standing on one side of the river, and I could see a factory on the other side.  There were tall smokestacks billowing white clouds of smoke from whatever was going on inside the buildings.  To my right was a high bridge/trestle over the river. 

Without any kind of transition, suddenly I was inside the building at the very point where the company’s product was being processed.  I could not see anything other than the “result” end of the process, a rather small black box with tubes running into one side, and a white dot on the other side where the “run-off” wastewater trickled out.  That milky-white waste was thick and sticky.  How I knew that with


out touching the stuff is a mystery (and that is the part of which my brain seems to want to wrestle and, perhaps, drive me crazy). 

Another “how did I know this” moment occurred in the next instant, when I realized that milky white wastewater was as toxic as the remains of Chernobyl’s reactor meltdown.  And at that moment the scene of my nighttime wondering fast-forwarded to the Nobel Prize that company’s scientist got for figuring-out how to turn a milky-white wastewater, toxic runoff from an unknown manufacturing process, into a life-saving elixir that changed the course of history.

The Name - Andijic

Most of my dreams are specific to places, people, and conversation; this dream lacked all three.  I did not know where the place was, nor did I see any people, or hear any conversation.  The only specific which emerged from my night’s strange adventure was the name of that life-saving drug, Andijic.

This morning I shared the whole strange episode with my son, Jason, and he immediately Googled “Andijic”[2]. 

Here is a summary of the search:

Andijic is a common alternative spelling or transcription of the South Slavic surname Andrijić (or Anđić / Andjić). The name is of Slavic origin and functions as a patronymic surname. The suffix "-ić" means "son of" or "descendant of".  It is derived from the given name Andrija (the Slavic equivalent of Andrew).

Andrija stems from the Greek name Andreas, which means "manly," "brave," or "strong". Therefore, the surname historically translates to "son of the brave/manly one" or "descendant of Andrew".

There were some notable brave men listed, such as Marko Andrijić (died c. 1507): A famous master stonemason and builder from the Republic of Ragusa (modern-day Dubrovnik, Croatia) known for his work on the Korčula Cathedral, and others.  (See Wikipedia.com)

To be clear, I had never heard the name/word Andijic prior to “seeing” it in my dream.  My wife had a cousin named Andy, and there was also an Uncle Andy on my mother’s side of the family.  I knew Andy Svatek in high school, and I watched Amos and Andy on the black and white twelve-inch screen of our TV in the late 1950’s.  But Andijic is a new one on me!

Analyzing this dream is a real challenge; there is only one possibility I can tease-out from it, and it takes leaping-the-Grand-Canyon kind of faith to get it.  Here’s my 3-Part proposal:

     1.    Since I cannot recall ever hearing “Andijic” spoken, or having seen it written (that I know of), I believe God put it in my mind last night for a reason that will only be known when someone else hears it or sees it in this journal.

     2.    The specific sights (factory, bridge, river, black box, white dot, and the mysterious milky-white, and very toxic wastewater) serve as metaphors which are very important to my beliefs. (we will see the list below).

     3.    I’m not really crazy (or any more so than usual).

Seeing the Sights

I believe the dream is a proclamation of God’s Gospel message.  It is the same kind of object lesson employed by the Old Testament prophet, Jeremiah, when God instructed him to go buy some new underwear.

This is what the Lord said to me: “Go and buy yourself a linen undergarment and put it on. But do not put it in water.”  So I bought underwear as the Lord instructed me and put it on.  Then the word of the Lord came to me a second time:  “Take the underwear that you bought and are wearing, and go at once to the Euphrates and hide it in a rocky crevice.”  So I went and hid it by the Euphrates, as the Lord commanded me.  A long time later the Lord said to me, “Go at once to the Euphrates and get the underwear that I commanded you to hide there.”  So I went to the Euphrates and dug up the underwear and got it from the place where I had hidden it, but it was ruined—of no use at all.  Then the word of the Lord came to me:  “This is what the Lord says:  Just like this I will ruin the great pride of both Judah and Jerusalem.  These evil people, who refuse to listen to me, who follow the stubbornness of their own hearts, and who have followed other gods to serve and bow in worship—they will be like this underwear, of no use at all.  Just as underwear clings to one’s waist, so I fastened the whole house of Israel and of Judah to me”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“so that they might be my people for my fame, praise, and glory, but they would not obey.  Jeremiah 13:1-11

Simple story here; Israel was stubborn, full of pride, very sinful.  This made God angry (he does get angry over sin, you know).  God told Jeremiah to show them what their stubborn sinfulness was going to do to them.  That nation, like our nation, was like an undergarment, wrapped close to the Owner’s heart…meant to stay close (obedient). 

When they got away (like the garment buried near the stream) they ruined themselves, became useless!  The question goes begging here, just how close is America to God’s heart?  And if you give the right answer, you also know why America is mired-deep in a mess today! 

So, how does that match up with my dream?  The river is the dividing line between Earth and Heaven.  I, a human, am on one side, Heaven is on the other side (but not for long; at my age I’ll see Him sooner rather than later!). 

The dim view of the dark mountains and the black box are a mystery, as is the milky white toxic runoff.  They represent humankind’s living in a toxic culture, full of sin and death.  There is a dim, almost imperceivable view of the goodness of God working behind the scenes in everything happening all throughout history, including the history we are living in today.  We just don’t understand what it’s all about.

The Interpretation of the Sights we See in the Dream

In my dream I saw a mountain, factory, black box, and strange wastewater runoff.  It’s a picture of our culture, angry, raging at God, daring God, despising one another, and standing, soaked in the sin of every opposite position you can imagine from what God told us to be to each other.  He told us to be kind, generous, forgiving, gentle, encouraging each other, and to put an exclamation point at the end, Jesus came to us and said You love others just like I have loved you!

But it is also a picture of how God entered that cesspool of a culture two thousand years ago.  He was just another Jewish baby, part of the wastewater runoff of unimportant people in Bethlehem.  The Jews were toxic to the rulers in society, so they nailed Him to a cross, and His blood covered the ground; goodbye to another nuisance!

That was Friday afternoon; then came Sunday morning.  And, what seemed toxic wastewater, emerged from the black box of sin and death, and we beheld the white dot of forgiveness and redemption.  That water wasn’t “waste” at all; it turned out to be the life-saving medicine for the sins of the whole world.

The toxicity of human deeds we manufacture in our dim view of life’s eternal and holy purpose can never be fixed with mere human manipulation of governments and warfare.  There is only one solution for sin – Jesus!  He was Andijic in my dream, Andrew, the brave, strong stonemason – the One who knew everything about being the cornerstone of God’s Kingdom – He, who the builders of earthly kingdoms rejected, is the chief cornerstone of our hope and salvation.[3]

My friends, you are not the entire population of the world, nor our country, nor your hometown, nor even your family.    You are simply one person who cannot turn the tide of everything going on in the world.  But you are also like me in that dream, standing on the cesspool side of the universe, looking through a sin-darkened cloud toward that place where God is calling.  It may seem like a tiny, white spot on a huge black box, but His nail-scarred hands are stretched-out ready to welcome you beyond that veil.  He was victorious over sin and death on the cross (in my dream, He was the scientist who turned the wastewater into a blessing), and He offers eternal life. 

However you spell His name, Jesus, Yeshua, Jehovah, Christ, Lord, Messiah, or even Andijic, say yes to Him; open your heart and life to His salvation, and trust Him for the eternity He’s promised for you.  You may not be able to change the entire world, but if you let Him change your heart and life, you’ll be surprised how differently you’ll see and respond to this world’s ways; your part in this world will change, and Heaven will rejoice.



[1] For those not aware, I’m beginning an Alzheimer’s discipline for early stages

[2]If you’re interested, you can read the full report Google turned up here ANDIJIC

[3] The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.  Psalm 118:22

No comments:

Post a Comment