Monday, February 10, 2020

The Light on My Path

Monday, February 10, 2020

Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.  I’ve promised it once, and I’ll promise it again:  I will obey your righteous regulations.  I have suffered much, O Lord; restore my life again as you promised.  Lord, accept my offering of praise, and teach me your regulations.  My life constantly hangs in the balance, but I will not stop obeying your instructions.  The wicked have set their traps for me, but I will not turn from your commandments.  Your laws are my treasure; they are my heart’s delight.  I am determined to keep your decrees to the very end.                    Psalm 119:105-112[2]

Let’s face it, when you have some age on you the light can grow a little dim for weary eyes.  My Dad almost made it to triple digits and his eyesight was amazing.  Dad had been wearing glasses since his forties, and when he reached 70, he awakened one morning and, as older people do, the first thing he did was reach for the glasses.  He put them on, and, as he looked around everything was fuzzy.  Dad removed the glasses to clean them and the world snapped into view.  He was blessed with what his doctor termed “second sight”[3]. 
A physical blessing is a gift that is always right in front of you.  Our pain and disabilities are front-burner issues, and when one is blessed with a pain solved, or weakness dissolved, the world snaps into alignment; new possibilities are in focus.
It is much the same in the spiritual realm, only deeper.  The Psalmist describes a light in dark places.  More dramatic than the alleviation of physical pain, the enlightening of spiritual understanding is a medicine to the soul.[4]
In the book of Isaiah, the prophet laments how much his generation (perhaps like ours) was walking in darkness, but foreshadows the coming of light for our souls:

So there is no justice among us, and we know nothing about right living. We look for light but find only darkness. We look for bright skies but walk in gloom.  Isaiah 59:9

And Jesus clearly picked up Isaiah’s words and drove them home to the point:

Jesus…said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”  John 8:12

These days there’s a lot of spiritual glop that is supposed to pass for enlightenment but offers little in the way of hope.  People dabble in spiritual vacuity that is supposed to place them on a higher plane but, in the end, it is hollow and shallow.  When the bubble bursts emptiness fills the room.  
That our generation is like Isaiah’s can hardly be disputed; the world is deeply divided, and America is truly the world’s leader in that commodity.  And what it will come down to for each soul is whether there is a hunger and thirst for the true light of heaven, or the darkness of momentary comfort.
For You Today
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO


[1] Title Image:  Pixabay.com   Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©
[2] For another post on Psalm 119:105-112 see God's Word; Light for My Path; Lamp for My Feet
[3] This is a medical condition known as Presbyopia
[4] Proverbs 17:22

No comments:

Post a Comment