Friday, February 28, 2020

To Un-Ring a Bell


Friday, February 28, 2020

Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.  Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me—now let me rejoice.  Don’t keep looking at my sins.  Remove the stain of my guilt.  Create in me a clean heart, O God.  Renew a loyal spirit within me.  Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.  Psalm 51:7-11[1]

According to some people (people who can think way beyond my capacity to understand…and thereby make my head hurt when I read and try to understand them), you can actually un-ring a bell.  It’s part of A-B theorem’s linear-versus-tenseless philosophy of time.  (I warned you it hurts to think like this).
Well, you cannot literally un-ring what’s been rung, but the thought is that whenever they figure out how to traverse the time-travel thing, you’ll be able to go back to before the bell was rung, and maybe not ring the thing.  Do I hear an amen from Outlander fans?
King David hated hearing the sound of the bell representing his sin with Bathsheba, and the ensuing coverup conspiracy resulting in the murder of Bathsheba’s husband, Uriah.  David wanted to un-ring the indelible stain that had blackened his soul and spirit.  David was known for his integrity, compassion, and fairness as ruler; now his integrity was gone, as was any memory of compassion and objective judgment as a king.  David was damaged goods, and the misery was eating him alive.  If only time-travel could let him go back and un-ring his lust!
You cannot undo the past.  Even under the tenseless Box theory of time, where all moments of existence co-exist simultaneously, to re-enter another moment (and not split the balance of metaphysics into a gazillion faceted dilemma), you cannot alter the future from the past.  That being said I shall return to a less head-hurting consideration:  God can!  As Creator/author of time, and space, and us, God can do whatever He wills with time and space.
And so, this is where the rubber of David’s stained soul meets the road of God’s ability to un-ring the bell of our sin; His forgiveness does the unforgiveable.  God doesn’t remove an event from our past, but when we confess our sins to him in total faith and repentance, He restores to us the joy of a soul cleansed of guilt and shame.  This is what David means when he prays for God’s Holy Spirit to not be taken from him.  The restoration for which David prays is the return of right relationship with God.
For You Today
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO 

Title Image:  Pixabay.com   Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©


[1] For other posts on Psalm 51 see Repentance  and Lenten Walk - Part 21

No comments:

Post a Comment