Tuesday, September 1,
2026
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under
the shadow of the Almighty. I
will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will
I trust. Psalm 91:1-2(KJV)
If ever there was a doubt God granted us free will,
the Psalmist destroys that doubt in this emphatic declarative paragraph,
particularly in just six words:
I will say of the Lord…!
The fact that the Psalmist is
allowed to say “I will” in connection of the Lord God, the Creator and
Sustainer of everything in the universe, is self-evident proof that our free
will is God’s gift, and His blessing to everyone who will receive it.
Let’s explore this dramatic
trust which God places in each human being for us to either accept or reject
the Creator of the Universe, just like you would “friend” or “unfriend” someone
on FaceBook. Those first three words…
“I”
The mere fact that word can be expressed is an indication of
free will; that word separates each of us from anyone else. It implies we have liberty to move and be
independent in where that takes us. “I”
is the difference between us, or you.
“Will”
The will of a human being is the evidence we are granted
independence, and superiority above the other created creatures and plant life,
or even the earth, stars, and all the cosmos, seen and unseen. We make sentient choices based not merely on
primal instinct, and expediency, but moral honor (or in some cases
turpitude). We can choose to either
honor or dishonor Godliness.
“Say”
This third word is certainly a game-changing dance with
truth. To “say” is to articulate what
your will has chosen. It means to take a
stance for others to see, whether “said” orally, written, or simply the placard
of your life’s actions. I knew a man who
was difficult to deal with. His
hostility was fueled by the alcohol he consumed hour by hour each day. I suspect the thirty years he spent on Navy
ships, with uncertainty and danger on the other side of every ocean wave,
combined with alcohol’s control, made anger and pushing the envelope expected. He once said he believed
in Christ; he was even baptized. In one
conversation he claimed to be wise and was going to teach me what it means to
be a minister. The next week he
committed suicide at the end of a standoff with police in front of K-Mart. He said much about being
wise; with his revolver he said much more about his
foolish hopelessness.
That brings us back to the “friend” or “unfriend” kind of
choice we casually select on Facebook.
Your free will with Mark Zuckerberg’s creative social media is a matter
which may well be forgotten before you shut down the computer today. However, to exercise your free will towards
the Creator God, by rejecting His “friend offer” of the cross, is an eternal
matter.
So,
let’s make this personal; say it with me,
I ( your name ),
will say of the
Lord
He is my refuge and
my fortress:
my God; in him will
I trust.
You
chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!
[1] Title and Other Image by Jose Weslley from Pixabay Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The Christian Standard Bible©

No comments:
Post a Comment