Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Let It Be


                                                 Wednesday, September 9, 2026                                                

The apostle Paul cried out in his grieving anguish over his inescapable sins:

For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?  Romans 7:22-24

Certainly, grieving is a new normal when you’ve lost someone dear to you.  But, what use is grief, if all it does is make you aware your entire future is surrounded by depths certain to overwhelm and swallow you? 

I love pleasant new beginnings with (at least) a vague idea of what I will choose and perhaps encounter…a refreshing revelation or amusement.  But grief…this maw of a black hole bids me “come and be devoured”.  At times, it is almost preferred; after all, the pain I can see, and to which I might surrender in the blink of an eye, promises a blissful nothingness in an instant; is it not better, that we may escape a drowning, sorrowful, unending struggle and succumb nonetheless at the end? 

So, is it not a tempting call to my aching, spent soul, weary of paddling aimlessly against grief’s unknown?  Let it Be, Paul, let it BE!

Now, if you’re from the early 60’s you immediately heard the lyrics from Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, and Starr (better known as The Beattles).  The song, “Let It Be” was written by Paul McCartney after his mother (Mary) died.  He had a comforting dream that she (not Mary, mother of Jesus) came to him, and Paul McCartney was inspired to write these words:

When I find myself in times of trouble,

Mother Mary comes to me, Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

Speaking words of wisdom, let it be. 

Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree

There will be an answer, let it be.  Let it be.

For though they may be parted,

there is still a chance that they will see.

There will be an answer, let it be.  Let it be.

Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.[1]

As Paul McCartney wrote those words to deal with his loss, and the accompanying pain of grief, I must also give voice to what is my hour of darkness.  (Unlike McCartney, I haven’t made a dime on my singing ability!)

“Words of wisdom” applied to a rock band of dubious character notwithstanding, I rather defer to older, more tested Godly wisdom, King David. Who grieved over the losses he suffered, his dearest friend, Jonathan, Absalom, his loved Son, killed in the uprising he started against his father, and an unnamed infant son dying as a result of David’s sin with Bathsheba.

Be gracious to me, Lord, for I am weak; heal me, Lord, for my bones are shaking; my whole being is shaken with terror.  And you, Lord—how long?  Turn, Lord!  Rescue me; save me because of your faithful love.  For there is no remembrance of you in death; who can thank you in Sheol?     I am weary from my groaning; with my tears I dampen my bed and drench my couch every night.  Psalm 6:2-6

David’s whole life was coming unglued, and he knew it was his fault.  Yet, he counted on the Lord’s forgiveness in the worst grief one could imagine. When you have struggled in the rip tide of grief and look back to see what gain you have made, you discover the tide has carried you farther away from the safe shore which was your desired outcome.  All that was familiar and treasured lies back on the sandy shoreline, under the strong umbrella of the past, with its known pains and joys; this unknown agony is a beast to be avoided, no matter the cost!

And yet, we grieve.  Why do we do it?  Because we have loved.

And the deeper the love with which we have given ourselves, the more intense the pain we will go through.  It is like the sides of an equation; the sums must be equal.  As one plus one will always total two, the heights of love will always be a mirror for the depths of our loss.

To come back to Mr. McCartney, that “let it be” comes in here.  Most of us, going through this journey we call grieving, are looking for the exit door.  Some find it in distractions, drugs, or detaching altogether.  Distractions, however glitzy (and costly) don’t negate grief, only our attention.  Drugs merely anesthetize us to the pain, and the ultimate costs speak for themselves; we alienate ourselves from relationships, lose a job, and often self-respect, along with any semblance of health.  Detachment is probably the most common, a view of life as tasteless, and simply opting to let the fields grow wild. 

There are probably many more paths that people choose, but I only write of the ones I’ve known and have chosen to reject the past 21 months.  I have instead turned to the advice of King David, trusting in the Lord’s forgiving, healing hand, and Apostle Paul, who, after screaming his “death wish” cry for deliverance…who will deliver me from the body of this death, responded this way:  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 7:25)

For You Today

The truth is we all grieve if we have loved at all.  Imagine how God grieves with us considering the depth of His love for us.

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!  

[1] Title and Other Images: Dimitris Vetsikas from Pixabay  Unless noted, Scripture from Christian Standard Bible©



[1] Paul McCartney & John Lennon (©Sony/atv Tunes Llc)

No comments:

Post a Comment