We use kind words these days to avoid being offensive. We call foolish deeds “unfortunate choices”. Whatever you choose to call them, the outcome of those foolish decisions is to dishonor God’s trust as King Saul did (1 Samuel 13). The priest/prophet, Samuel, was late arriving at the battlefield to offer a sacrifice on Israel’s behalf. The army was getting restless; some were even deserting. So, the king, thinking to protect God’s honor, did what was not his place – he did the priest’s job, and God was not pleased. The cost was God’s judgment; King Saul would be fired, and David would ascend the throne.
Samuel said to Saul, “You have been foolish. You have not kept the
command the Lord your God gave you. It was at this time that
the Lord would have permanently established your reign over
Israel, but now your reign will not endure. The Lord has
found a man after his own heart, and the Lord has appointed him
as ruler over his people, because you have not done what
the Lord commanded.” 1 Samuel
13:13-14
Who would do such a thing? Dishonor God by taking charge? Well, I would, and I have; now don’t you give
me that look…you would, and you have also!
For me, it was years ago when I
was young and quite inexperienced as a pastor. The church I was serving was
somewhat stuck (I thought), languishing in complacency. They needed (I believed) a stirring,
convicting, revival-starting sermon. So,
I cooked one up and served it, steaming-hot.
Near the end of that sermon the heat of my emotions got the better of
the preacher, and, to emphasize a point of how our outreach to the community
was more important than all the buildings and stuff in them, I did a 1980’s
version of a mic-drop…to the floor. The
squelching feedback could be heard by goats and cattle three counties away. It blistered my own eardrums! I had made my point, but two deacons in the
crowd decided I’d gone too far and walked out of the service.
My (so-called) unfortunate
choice (more commonly known as foolishness) was perhaps the worst moment of my
entire ministry. That smallish country
church was hardly a kingdom like Saul’s Israel, but my God-dishonoring
mistreatment of a piece of God’s property may have illustrated just how much
being in-charge was more important to me than being in
God’s will.
Until I get to discuss that
moment face-to-face with Jesus in Heaven, I will not know the extent of damage
I caused that day with my foolish choice.
Perhaps the list of spiritual casualties my sinful moment caused was
what led to serving troubled, angry, unstable, on-life-support churches for
nearly the rest of my time as a pastor.
Like King Saul, the choice I made also determined the judgment that came
my way. Even at this point, more than
forty years later, I sense in my heart during those quiet middle of the night
moments, lying awake remembering (as the elderly do) that I crossed a line that
day. I’ve confessed my sin, and am
forgiven based upon God’s character and promise, but the nail of sin, withdrawn
from the post of my life’s record, still leaves a hole of regret!
For You Today
The postscript to that regret for me (and possibly you) is
that God did use King Saul to test David’s commitment and launch him to the
throne. Perhaps the church I left behind
also benefitted by God’s use of my “unfortunate choice”! It will not surprise me if it did; what,
after all, is impossible with God?[1]
[1] Image by Christian
Dorn from Pixabay
Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The Christian Standard Bible©
Posted on Facebook Acting Foolishly




No comments:
Post a Comment