Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the Lord! Psalm 134:2(NLT)
“Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every
nation. I will be honored throughout the world.” Psalm 46:10
Participating in worship this past Sunday morning was an absolute
joy…and I almost missed it! Saturday
night was a touch nightmarish. Unable to
go to sleep, I stayed awake in bed from around 10:30PM to 1:00AM, finally gave
up, got up, and did what you do when sleep won’t come…I read the Bible for a
while, scrolled through the email and Facebook, and looked at some old family
pictures.
While trying to get sleepy again in the quiet night, I heard a crash coming from down the hall. It was 2:45 in the morning, darker than
Satan’s belly. I jumped up and
investigated every room. Nothing was
moved or missing, and I was now VERY wide awake, so I did the one thing certain
to drive me into a coma…I folded that pile of clean laundry. Sleepy?
Nada…nope…zilch! I almost sent my
daughter a text to let her know I’d most likely be asleep while she was in
church, and not to worry. But I just
went back to folding the laundry and finished that vital task at precisely 3:48AM.
At that moment I looked up at the wall over my bed and noticed
something odd. One of the three pictures
over the headboard was missing.
The near attack of the partridge dropping from my bedroom’s pear tree
wall drove me to think deeply of how differently we all are in expressing our
worship.
Ads on Facebook TV, and wherever the eyes of the public might wander, are
created to convince you (and sometimes maybe their creators) that their brand
of whatever they’re trying to sell, is best, real, the genuine,
longest-lasting, best-flavored, smoothest-running, most effective, and
coolest-looking of anything you’ve ever seen.
(That goes double for political ads).
“Newest” is the most-used word in advertising (and according to
research, the most powerful). But often
it is the “same-ol’ same-ol’ repackaged in a new colored wrapper, an updated
name, and not the least bit of moral conscience to guide their marketing lies.
There…I’ve said it out loud!
(and maybe I’ve just uttered a long overdue confession of my own).
In the competitive world of business the bottom line is, well…the
bottom line! It is a “for-profit” world
that sells stuff. And there is a good
reason why there are government
watch-dogs to guard the public interest when it comes to truth in advertising;
to wit: When “profit” is the main thing,
scruples often go begging!
Now for the confession -
It can be the same way in church when we’re busy “selling” our fidelity
to God. I worship with a large congregation,
different (to say the least) from the much smaller congregations I served
before I retired three years ago. In
worship times, as the songs begin to crescendo or blend-in common strong,
familiar phrases, there will be a pair of hands raised, then two or three more;
finally, there are hands raised in every row of standing, swaying, singing
bodies with eyes closed and facial expressions of pain, or possibly just engulfed
by joy.
Occasionally, I am one of them. But
those hands only rise to the occasion of joy unspeakable,
thankfulness which just cannot be contained.
Please do not misunderstand –
this is my personal confession; I do not judge others as to their motive for
lifting hands. By way of explanation, I
am from a generation that did a pretty
fair job of judging the church. It was
we Boomers of the 1960’s who preferred Woodstock for our worship, and John
Lennon’s crew for our pastor (Lord help us)!
However, when I had judged enough (and paid the price for my judging
ways) I came home to the Lord of the Bride; my hands were as empty as the
Prodigal Son – no excuses…just ready for grace and forgiveness.
One thing remained when I came home to Him – my “congregational
coldness”! That upbringing was deeply indoctrinated,
and it never included hands lifted, let alone swaying to the music, or (Heaven
forbid) clapping to show appreciation for the singer or the sermon. We stayed quiet (very much a favorite for
introverts like me), and we paid attention, even taking notes on the sermon to
help us remember which part of our sin-ridden lives we needed to repent that
week.
So, the bottom line for these thoughts – I accuse no one
of being less than genuine if they lift
hands in praise (the Psalmist said it’s OKJ)! I am not bothered if someone sways gracefully
to the music as their authentic response to the movement of God in the
Sanctuary – an outpouring of praise and dedication to Almighty God and His Son,
Jesus. I would add, however, that
doesn’t mean the rest of us, who remain quieter, are somehow rigidly opposing
the more gregarious movers and shakers; we are simply contemplating; we are
respecting God with our standing-still in the presence of what He
is doing in our midst.
The Psalmist said that was good too! J
For You Today
One final reflection:
We
know that in everything God created, and in everything He said about what He made and ordained as good,
that there is beautiful diversity.
- ·
No sky is the same in any moment of the day, nor
are rivers unchanging.
- · Every species and variation of animals, reptiles, birds, fish, and certainly human beings are fearfully and wonderfully made[1] to be diverse, as unique as their fingerprints.
- So, as the Lord’s brother, James wrote: Show me your faith without works, and I will show you faith by my works.[2] Let me borrow his style and apply it to what I know about this handy question:
If
your raised hands show the Lord your faithful heart, please know that, as I
stand next to you with these hands dropped quietly at my side, inside this
heart of mine both hands are raised to the Heavens.
Image by OpenClipart-Vectors and Heart Image by DesignByDessie |
|
Image by OpenClipart-Vectors and Heart
Image by DesignByDessie |


No comments:
Post a Comment