Wednesday, August 26, 2026

God's Will For You

 

Correction... in the original post I described 
Danny's illness as AIDS.  I have since 
been made aware of my mistake.  
Danny was suffering from cancer.  
My apologies to the family.

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in everything; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

“I just wish I knew what God’s will is for me.”  Over the years I have heard that statement in a variety of different ways, but the message is almost always the same underlying theme – God is such a mystery…who knows what I’m supposed to do.  Unfortunately, there is something of a sub-theme contained in it, a tiny admission of the fear of actually finding out what God wants you to do.  Apostle Paul gives us a one-size-fits-all that really does “fit all”, at least as a first step in the life-long journey of following God to find ourselves resting in the center of His will for us. 

I want to introduce you to the Smith family (yes…that’s their real name), they are friends of mine, who became family in a couple of ways.  I met Dan and Donna Smith in 1985 when we moved to Gainesville, Florida to serve as pastor at Parker Road Baptist Church.  They were easy to get to know, and impossible not to love.  As you can see from the family picture, smiles are not strangers to the entire clan!  Their joy and love for people have been an inspiration to me.  They took us into their friendship in many ways over the years.  In 1989 when it snowed (yes, it snowed IN FLORIDA!) we lost power, and our whole family was sick.  The Smiths had a backup generator and our family slept in their bonus room that week!

As their pastor we shared many moments of joy, and more than a few heartaches.  I officiated at two marriages in their family; one of which involved both our families, when Donna’s Mom, Naomi, married Tony, my wife, Elizabeth’s father.  Dan and Donna’s daughter, Darlene, married Rick[1] in 1989.  

In 1990 the other side of joyful showed up when son Danny died at only 29.  But, even in that early death there was joy, as on the last full day of Danny’s life, lying in a hospital bed in pain, Danny’s mom led him to a saving faith in Jesus Christ.  Fast forward 40 years to the Covid era, within recent years, both Donna and Dan went to be with Danny and Naomi in the presence of Jesus.  For them it was the continuation of what they had known for many years, the working out of what Apostle Paul offered, to rejoice often, give thanks in everything, and pray without ceasing.

Rewind back to the 80’s and let me share with you what Donna told me one day.  Donna served as the church secretary, and we saw each other every day at the office.  Some ordinary days have a lifelong effect because of what is said in a moment’s reflection.  When Danny was in the hospital battling cancer, we were discussing Apostle Paul’s advice, and I asked her how her “praying without ceasing” project was going.  She then dropped a truth-bomb on my life.  She answered, Russell, I’ve got so much dadgum stuff going on in my life, I just never get to say AMEN!

For You Today

You may not have experienced as many hard times as Dan and Donna’s family, or you may have been crushed much more by life’s harshness.  One thing is certain, keeping the prayer line going every waking moment (and trusting Him even when you’re sleeping) is the genuine one-size-fits-all that makes sense for you, and all the other 8.3 billion people on planet earth.

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!  

[1] Title and Other Images: Russell Brownworth photo.  Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The Christian Standard Bible© 

Posted on Facebook God's Will For You 


[1] They are on the right in the picture. Dan and Donna on the left, and Dede, photographer supreme in the center.




No comments:

Post a Comment