Friday, October 11, 2013

Which One?

Friday, October 11, 2013

After Jesus left the girl’s home, two blind men followed along behind him, shouting, “Son of David, have mercy on us!”  They went right into the house where he was staying, and Jesus asked them, “Do you believe I can make you see?”  “Yes, Lord,” they told him, “we do.”  Then he touched their eyes and said, “Because of your faith, it will happen.”  Then their eyes were opened, and they could see!  Jesus sternly warned them, “Don’t tell anyone about this.”  But instead, they went out and spread his fame all over the region. Matthew 9:27 - 31 (NLT)
When Christ healed the blind man all eyes were undoubtedly upon Jesus and his patient. 
It’s easy to miss the guy on the far right watching.  Do you see the expression on his face? 
Is it…
·        Amazement?

·        Skepticism?
·        Fear?

Whatever it was meant to be it reminds me of me.  I’m always somewhat amazed by the miracles.  As a “religious professional” I hear a lot about miracles; it’s hard to not be skeptical over some reports of miracles.  A guy tells me, Hey….Jesus grew me a new thumb and he’s promised I’m gonna be king over Transylvania!   It’s just not the kind of thing you accept blindly (no pun there).

The possibility that reminds me most of me is “fear”.  There is just something about being witness to a miracle (or an auto accident, or robbery or a murder) that reminds us deep down we’ll be called upon to be a witness, so the community we live in will know the truth.  Having to “get it right” at that point is a heavy responsibility

Jesus spent a lot of time telling people “GO tell…”.  In fact the last recorded words before Jesus ascended back to heaven were GO into all the world. 

And, often, we are the reluctant witnesses, amazed, skeptical and fearful.  And quiet!  Jesus says “go” and we say “uh…ok, but I’ve got this hair appointment.”

That’s me, too often!

But…that other guy…the one Jesus healed.  Remember what Jesus said to him?  He ordered the man to keep quiet.  What did the guy do?  He put it on Facebook, Twitter and CNN…..Jesus healed me; I can see!  It’s Jesus…the healer, Messiah has come!

We used to do that with our Grandkids….Don’t you dare give me a kiss….Nope…no sugar for me…you better NOT kiss me.  They always gave baby kisses!  

Sometimes I think if Jesus was really serious about us being witnesses he would have used this reverse psychology that manipulates us into doing the very thing he tells us NOT to do. 

Then I repent.  

I know better than that about Jesus.  Someone who will die for you will never manipulate you.

The problem with most witnessing non-attempts is our fear – NOT His command
In some cases there is no witness because there’s been no healing.  We’ve been the guy on the right….looking on, instead of the guy who is eyeball to eyeball with Jesus.

Today

So, who do you want to be today?  

Do you want to be the blind man in front of Jesus, eyes wide-opened and healed from within – or – silent man watching, having nothing happen worth telling about?


Simple question – just a question nobody else can answer for you.  It’s your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment