Tuesday, July 5, 2016

How Long, O LORD?

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Have compassion on me, Lord, for I am weak.
Heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony.
I am sick at heart.
How long, O Lord, until you restore me?  
Psalm 6:2-3(NLT)

There is almost nothing harder on your inner self than waiting. 

At the moment Elizabeth and I are awaiting the verdict on a house problem.  It seems some time ago our shower drain decided to break, leaking water into the crawl space under the house.  Now, when you add moisture to a dark place that has lots of insulation and wooden joists for food, you create a perfect storm for mold to take over like Methodist locusts at a dinner on the grounds.

That this could go undetected for a long time…months…is evidence of my sanity; what sane man crawls under his house to check the humidity?  Especially when you have to fight the spiders and snakes to do so!

The first two estimates about remediating the algae on steroids were enough to make the national debt disappear….or my shingles return.

We are waiting on the third guy now.

Waiting.

Did I say we are waiting?

The waiting room is an awful place. 

David, suffering the consequences of his sins, waited in agony for the Lord to heal his brokenness of spirit.

John the Baptist waited in prison for his cousin, Jesus to vindicate all that preaching John had done in the wilderness to vindicate him.

Elijah waited under a broom tree to die because he was afraid of Jezebel’s fury.

Paul waited in a jail under threat of execution.

Waiting is tough business.

And so, we say, How Long O Lord?

And God answers:  my grace is sufficient for whatever you need, boy.

And then we hear Paul, faithful servant, waiting:

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.   Philippians 4:6(NLT)

And so, we will!

For You Today

Waiting got you by the throat?

Listen to your very good friend, Paul.

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road today…have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO


NOTES
[i] Title Image: By Andrew Katsis, via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment