Monday, May 22, 2017

God Sovereign - Part 1

Monday, May 22, 2017
The Lord is king! He is robed in majesty.  Indeed, the Lord is robed in majesty and armed with strength.  The world stands firm and cannot be shaken.  Your throne, O Lord, has stood from time immemorial.  You yourself are from the everlasting past.  Psalm 93:1-2(NLT)
There are two truths I have learned about how much God is in control of everything in life:
a.      Life doesn’t come close to being random.                                                                               A cowboy applied for health insurance and the agent routinely asked if he had had any accidents during the previous year. 
The cowboy replied, No; but I was bitten by a rattlesnake, and a horse kicked me an’ broke two ribs. 
The agent was amazed.  A rattlesnake bite and a horse; weren’t those accidents? 
No, replied the cowboy, they did it on purpose.[1] 
We never catch God by surprise either.
b.      God’s plans tend to mess with my plans.                                                    
·       1960 was the year I lost my legs; well, virtually, not literally.  At thirteen, life was really getting good.  Sports defined my life.  I cried foul when the doctor took a look at my knees, called it a condition with a name I still can’t pronounce and put me in a chair for five months.  God had messed with my baseball!
·       There was the year we had our first child, Jennifer
I went from being #1 in Elizabeth’s life to that guy who made lists when my bride said things like:  Oh, and don’t forget to pick up more Pampers when you get the groceries; and get some more of that diaper rash cream. 
I needed a cream for my honey-do rash!

God’s sovereign plans mess with everybody’s plans! 

A dear friend told me about her 54 year-old friend with which she’d gone to school dying suddenly. 
Another friend’s wife had a brain tumor some years ago; the operation was successful, but my how it changed their lives. 
Superman isn’t supposed to be vulnerable.  God’s plans mess with our plans; boy, do they ever!
And so, if we want to act with wisdom in a world where God is in control, we must take the advice he offers. 
Starting tomorrow we will look at two very important principles for getting the big picture on how to run life’s race with God who is eternal and sovereign.

For You Today

Think hard all day today about what you’d really like to know about getting along with God, and the kinds of questions you’d ask.  Then, when tomorrow’s devotion shows up in your inbox, if you’re ready for a conversation, leave a comment; once we get talking about it, how would you ever want to leave that discussion?
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!
NOTES

[1] Our Awesome God  © 1997 Ray Pritchard, 1997, Oak Park, Illinois


 I Title image: Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment