Tuesday, January 23, 2018

A Different Kind of Sermon

Tuesday, January 23, 2018
He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word.  He was led like a lamb to the slaughter.  And as a sheep is silent before the shearers, he did not open his mouth.  Isaiah 53:7(NLT)
I cannot recall the source, but heard one time about Billy Graham playing golf with a rather famous politician and two pro athletes.  After the round reporters asked the politician and ball players what it was like to play golf with the world's most famous evangelist.  Both athletes said they respected Mr. Graham, but didn’t like him pushing religion down their throats for 18 holes.  The politician said that he and Billy talked politics and golf grips the whole day; religion never came up.  Sometimes without saying a word our witness is a stronger conviction than anything we might say.  Billy Graham's integrity at that point makes his words (and therefore his witness) a lot stronger!

The golf course must be something of a magnet place for that kind of thing to happen.  Over the years I have played more with strangers than friends.  When you go to the golf course by yourself the “starter” will put you with a group of two or three other golfers to help keep the pace of play the same for everyone.  First names and handshakes are exchanged, and off you go. 

Invariably when you ride in a golf cart for four hours with a stranger the question will happen:  what do you do for a living?  I always wait for that question with a little anxious (but somewhat perverted) anticipation.  Mostly the question will come around the fifth hole or so.  By then most players will have managed to make at least a few bad shots.  Swearing and other foulness are pretty common.  I have witnessed one player quit after three holes, breaking a club and, with a practiced string of cuss-words swear to never play this stupid game again!  

But that’s not what I anticipate.  It’s the look that happens when the question comes about what I do for a living.  What I just can’t wait to see is that look on their faces when I say, I’m a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

I know, I know; I’m a bit of a dweeb to relish that kind of moment, especially when your playing partner has just turned the air blue with his language.  The apologies come fast and furious, and there’s something of an awkward silence that follows.  I usually break the ice with a smile and say something like:  it’s OK, boys, it’s not me you have to worry about; it’s my boss.  At that point there’s some nervous laughter and we’re back to golf…but the air doesn’t turn blue the next dozen holes (at least within earshot of the preacher).

But what does happen is some pretty interesting questions that get thrown my way in the quiet times of waiting for another to take a shot.  It usually starts off:  Preacher, tell me....
          ·       Why do you think God does … or
          ·       Why is it that people won’t… or
          ·       Let me tell you about what happened when…

The bottom line about this kind of thing is that I get asked questions that are revealing about the kinds of struggles people have with faith.  And in that context – (remember, they have asked me…I haven’t beaten down their door with a twelve pound Bible under my arm)…in that context I get to answer conversationally, without being in pursuit of an evangelism scalp.  It’s genuine evangelism, the kind that can focus on Good News without a competition; it’s the kind of Good News conversation Jesus had at a well with a woman, or with a little man in a tree, or a religious big-wig under cover of night.  It’s the kind of conversation that can lead to some thought-provocation.  It’s the kind of thing that can help a person reflect on where they’re going in life, and why.

That’s a different kind of sermon.

For You Today

When you meet someone today, don’t get all flustered if they turn the air blue; just wait for it…God may be setting up one of those conversations that will allow for a genuine meeting with the Holy Spirit.

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO


[1] Title Image: Pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment