Monday, May 21, 2018

Reason to Rejoice

Monday, May 21, 2018
O Lord, what a variety of things you have made!  In wisdom you have made them all.  The earth is full of your creatures.  Here is the ocean, vast and wide, teeming with life of every kind, both large and small.  See the ships sailing along, and Leviathan, which you made to play in the sea.  They all depend on you to give them food as they need it.  When you supply it, they gather it.  You open your hand to feed them, and they are richly satisfied.  But if you turn away from them, they panic.  When you take away their breath, they die and turn again to dust.  When you give them your breath, life is created, and you renew the face of the earth.  May the glory of the Lord continue forever!  The Lord takes pleasure in all he has made!  The earth trembles at his glance; the mountains smoke at his touch.  I will sing to the Lord as long as I live.  I will praise my God to my last breath!  May all my thoughts be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the Lord.  Psalm 104:24-34(NLT)
I made the mistake of falling asleep on the couch last weekend.  Well, the nap was not an error…naps solve many problems, and head-off a truckload of marital discord! 
The lack of judgment on my part was to leave the TV remote ungarded.  When I awoke I discovered the glaring reality that “we” were watching Free Willy (ok…she was watching; I had been in suspended animation)!  The film[2] is 25 years old and has never lost its’ smarmy-ness.  But that’s not the reason I despise it.  Every time I see that moment where the killer whale jumps the barrier to freedom, I get this lump in my throat that reminds me I never succeeded fully in that big boys don’t cry thing.
Truth be told, I’m glad I haven’t graduated to that cold, unfeeling, never-moved with emotion “big boy” status; how would you ever rejoice over God’s creation or love?  Psalms are love songs to God, and in this one, the writer proclaims that, to his last breath he will lift praise to the Lord.  Deep down I know it’s true that my soul wants to join the Psalmist and secure my place at the altar, offering the kind of unbridled praise only a cleansed and freed-to-worship heart can offer.
More truth be told, the only thing that ever stops me from that is embarrassment over my own sin, and the hypocrisy of not wanting to look foolish or hypocritical to others by playing the part of worship without having holy hands cleansed by God’s extreme forgiveness.  And when you read this Psalm’s description of the simple rejoicing of the earth’s creatures, who have no embarrassment, but simply live in the provision of God’s hand, playing in the sea like Leviathan, the whale monster…it is a reality that they come a lot closer to worship than I do at times.
For You Today
If your worship was less than a connection with the eternal Almighty yesterday, maybe today you will do what the sea monster does constantly, eat what God provides, and keep remembering you’re part of the creation God loves.
And if, like Willy the killer whale, there is a barrier between you and the freedom to live like you were created, go ahead and jump…you’ve got reason to rejoice!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day. 

Go to VIDEO


[1] Title Image:  Courtesy Pixabay.com
[2] Warner Brothers 1993

No comments:

Post a Comment