Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Content!

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.  Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.  Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing.  Then the God of peace will be with you.  How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again.  I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me.  Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything.  I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.  Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.  Philippians 4:8-14(NLT)

A Scottish minister was an amazement to everyone who knew him.  He was just so positive all the time.  The parson’s prayers each Sunday were always new explorations of looking at things from the bright side.  If an optimist is one whose glass is always half-full, this guy’s cup was a gusher.  He made Norman Vincent Peale sound like Roy Clark’s woe, despair, and agony on me. 
One Sunday morning the weather was abominable.  There were four funerals that week, and it had rained through every one of them.  It was unseasonably cold, and this early Lord’s Day the rain was mixed with sleet.  The path from the parsonage to the church was muddy and slippery, and the aging preacher had slipped and fallen – face-down, of course.  By the time he made it to the church it was late, and the worship service was already in progress.  The muddy mess slogged-into the sanctuary and went straight to the pulpit.  One parishioner poked another in the side and whispered, let’s see him turn THIS into a smile!  The parson began his prayer, O, Lord, we thank thee it is not ALWAYS like this.
Paul wrote that he’d learned the secret to contentment, and that’s not a small thing.  I have known people (and have personally been) without this key component to a fulfilled life.  I believe the apostle was pointing backwards to his previous statement, that fixing your mind on the plus-side (that which is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, etc.) is what opens your heart to God.  When your heart is opened to God, Who IS peace, His Holy Spirit comes alongside, lives with (and within) you, and God’s kind of peace is more than just contentment, it floods your heart and soul with joy.
That kind of heart-joy isn’t dependent on circumstances, because this world and all its empty ways didn’t give it…and therefore it cannot take it away, change or diminish it.  It came from God, and it depends on God – not the state of your health, financial portfolio, friends, or whether your dog likes you.  This is what Paul called the peace that passes understanding.  It’s past understanding, or knowing, or acquiring without a total dependence on God.
Paul said it was Christ Who strengthened him with this peaceful contentment.  And the testimony of believers down through the centuries all leans in favor of this; from martyrs to kings, those who have completely trusted Christ in all things, leaving the outcome to their Heavenly Father, find a contentment that mystifies those who don’t.  
For You Today
If your contentment tank is running a little empty, let me suggest a fill-up.  You do that by emptying-out; lay it all on the altar before God – your finances, relationships, health, worries, hopes, and wonders.  After all, wouldn’t you trade every bit of all that for the contented assurance of His care?
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day.

Go to VIDEO


[i] Title Image:  via Pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment