Tuesday, February 18, 2020

When WORDS & DEEDS Collide

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

How can a young person stay pure?  By obeying your word.  I have tried hard to find you—don’t let me wander from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.  I praise you, O Lord; teach me your decrees.  I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us.  I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches.  I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways.  I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word. Psalm 119:9-16[1]

My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?  For example, suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in dirty clothes.  If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, “You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor”—well, doesn’t this discrimination show that your judgments are guided by evil motives?  Listen to me, dear brothers and sisters.  Hasn’t God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith?  Aren’t they the ones who will inherit the Kingdom he promised to those who love him?  But you dishonor the poor!  Isn’t it the rich who oppress you and drag you into court?  Aren’t they the ones who slander Jesus Christ, whose noble name you bear?  James 2:1-7

The Psalmist has hidden God’s Word in his heart so he will know the right way to act, and James the Apostle says that word can’t stay as a bunch of memory verses; it must become the governor of what a follower of Jesus Christ does, day-in and day-out.  Word and Deed must match, or those very words convict our deeds of unbelief.  This is something of a harsh truth, yet truth it is! 
And, if it is true that the Word of God hidden in our hearts is to be obeyed as much as it is to be cherished, then obedience to that Word is our concern, day and night.  What child is pleasing to his Father or Mother, having been instructed by the parent to do this, and not that, and immediately disregards what he has heard and does what he pleases – not what he’s been told?
It is that way for the follower of Jesus to not only listen to the Word, agree in principle that it is what God would have us do, even memorize it to earn a merit badge, but, then promptly ignore the Word by doing the opposite; we become more of a hypocrite than if we’d just admitted from the beginning that we appreciate the grace of Christ’s gift on the cross for our salvation…but, thank you very much, I now will live my life as selfishly as I please!
The White House area of Washington[2] is adorned with beautiful blossoming cherry trees, a gift from Japan.  As the story is told, young George Washington had an axe, and he couldn’t stop chopping down the cherry trees.  But, as anyone who’s ever heard a lesson on lying knows, young George would always take credit for his deeds, telling his father it was indeed he who chopped it down.  In my sanctified imagination I can imagine the frustration of Augustine Washington getting in his boy’s face and sneering, Alright, George…this is the twenty-seventh time…I KNOW you’re sorry; I just want to know when you’re going to STOP chopping down my cherry trees.
For You Today
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!
Title Image:  Pixabay.com   Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©

Go to VIDEO


[1] For another post on Psalm 119:10 see Inheritance of a Lamb’s Ear  For Psalm 119:11 see Scriptural Sticky Notes
[2] Cherry tree images via Wikimedia & George Washington By John C. McRae, Public Domain, via Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment