Friday, May 22, 2020

Chariot of Fire

 
Friday, May 22, 2020
2 Kings 2:1-12

When the Lord was about to take Elijah up to heaven in a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were traveling from Gilgal.  And Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here, for the Lord has told me to go to Bethel.”  But Elisha replied, “As surely as the Lord lives and you yourself live, I will never leave you!”  So they went down together to Bethel.  The group of prophets from Bethel came to Elisha and asked him, “Did you know that the Lord is going to take your master away from you today?”  “Of course I know,” Elisha answered. “But be quiet about it.”  Then Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here, for the Lord has told me to go to Jericho.”  But Elisha replied again, “As surely as the Lord lives and you yourself live, I will never leave you.”  So they went on together to Jericho.  Then the group of prophets from Jericho came to Elisha and asked him, “Did you know that the Lord is going to take your master away from you today?”  “Of course I know,” Elisha answered.  “But be quiet about it.”  Then Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here, for the Lord has told me to go to the Jordan River.”  But again Elisha replied, “As surely as the Lord lives and you yourself live, I will never leave you.”  So they went on together.  Fifty men from the group of prophets also went and watched from a distance as Elijah and Elisha stopped beside the Jordan River.  Then Elijah folded his cloak together and struck the water with it.  The river divided, and the two of them went across on dry ground!  When they came to the other side, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me what I can do for you before I am taken away.”  And Elisha replied, “Please let me inherit a double share of your spirit and become your successor.”  “You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah replied. “If you see me when I am taken from you, then you will get your request.  But if not, then you won’t.”  As they were walking along and talking, suddenly a chariot of fire appeared, drawn by horses of fire.  It drove between the two men, separating them, and Elijah was carried by a whirlwind into heaven.  Elisha saw it and cried out, “My father! My father! I see the chariots and charioteers of Israel!”  And as they disappeared from sight, Elisha tore his clothes in distress. 

Every leader who cares about the flock they’re charged with leading looks down the road to the next leader of that flock.  There are many moving parts to transition.  In Elijah’s case, his “assistant” Elisha made it an easy choice.  Elisha was, as this account shows, fiercely loyal and unselfish; he would not leave Elijah’s side.  It is an encouragement every leader needs to have an Elisha. 
As the story unfolds it becomes obvious the successor decision isn’t Elijah’s, it is God’s.  Elijah’s last words…if you see me taken your request is granted…has nothing to do with Elijah’s will or Elisha’s, it is the prophet pointing to the sovereignty of God’s will.  His final sentence assures that, But if not, then you won’t.  Elijah was not presumptuous where God’s will was concerned.  When Elijah’s propheting days came to a close, whether or not he wanted his protégé, Elisha to fill his shoes as prophet in Israel, was of little importance; it was always going to be God’s choice.
As it turned out, it was God’s will for Elisha to serve, and do many more miracles than his mentor.  That may refer to Elisha’s request to inherit “a double share of spirit” of Elijah’s kind.  When God honors something you can count on meticulous attention to detail.
The tribe in which I serve (Methodists) has a longstanding tradition of clergy serving at the discretionary choice of bishops.  A bishop, in consultation with his cabinet (of District Superintendents) sends me a notice once a year as to where I will serve in the coming year.  My current charge as local pastor to two churches, is about to enter its ninth year.  I have in served in pastoral roles to ten different churches over the last 39 years.  In each circumstance, upon leaving, I always had that chariot of fire image moment, wondering if I’d left too soon, not left soon enough, or if I’d been obedient as God’s servant in that spot.  From this perspective I now see that as a largely non-productive exercise.  It is enough to know that in each place I served, and the people with whom I served, my heart’s desire was to be obedient.  It is God who chose successors to follow me, just as God put me in those places, following someone else.
It is always interesting, though, the way God does all that; it is a magnificent thing to watch the unfolding of thoughts and ways that are much higher than mine[1].
Let’s Pray
Father, help us to NOT kick at the changes in our lives.  Help us to be loyal, like Elisha, ready for however your Spirit will work in us.

For You Today

Changes cause us to evaluate, adjust the sails, and get busy with the journey.  When God sends a chariot of fire to your group, family, or ministry, it could be a sign a double-share  of His Spirit and power are also on the way.
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road today.  Have a blessed day!
For another post on Elijah’s leadership see When Kings Must Bow


[1] Isaiah 55:9

No comments:

Post a Comment