Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Peter Pan Was NOT a Christian

 
Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Lord, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty.  I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to grasp.  Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself, like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk.  Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me.  O Israel, put your hope in the Lord—now and always.

The longer title of the story we usually shorten to Peter Pan includes:  The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up.[1]  If Peter were to walk into the room right now he would be the most teenage-looking 116 year-old you’ve ever seen; the story was written as a play in 1904.  I first saw it on TV in the 1950’s and, was so impressed, I wrote a letter to Walt Disney the next day, asking if he had any advice for me about becoming a cartoonist.  His studio sent me a very encouraging letter.
But what does any of that have to do with Psalm 131?  Well, everything, really.  In Disney’s animated movie production, Peter sings the song:  I won’t grow up!

I won't grow up, I don't want to go to school.
Just to learn to be a parrot,
And recite a silly rule.
If growing up means
It would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up  Not me!
I won't grow up,
I don't want to wear a tie.
Or a serious expression
In the middle of July.
And if it means I must prepare
To shoulder burdens with a worried air,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me, Not I, Not me! So there!
Never gonna be a man, I won't!
Like to see somebody try And make me.  Anyone who wants to try
And make me turn into a man,
Catch me if you can.
I won't grow up.
I will never even try
I will do what Peter tells me
And I'll never ask him why
We won't grow up!
We will never grow a day
And if someone tries to make it
We will simply run away
I won't grow up!
No, I promise that I won't
I will stay a boy forever
And be banished if I don't!
And Never Land will always be
The home of youth and joy
And liberty
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me!
I won’t!
No sir!
Not me!
Well, where do we start?  We don’t have to speak to the obvious flaw of wanting to remain a child, removed even from acknowledging that responsibilities do exist, especially if it means we might share in that burden.  The point is Scripture[2] not only calls us to leave our childish immaturity, but shows us how we can enter the process of doing what Peter Pan detested…growing up.
The Psalmist shows us Maturity-101, first page, first paragraph, lay down pride, hush all the noise…put aside your supposed deep thoughts, and trust in the LORD! 
Scripture declares that the very beginning of wisdom is to fear (reverence) God[3].

Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom.  All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom.  Praise him forever!  Psalm 111:10

In the children’s story, Peter Pan turned his back on this; too many have followed him into Never Never Land.
Let’s Pray Together:

Father, help us today to become wise, putting down our pride, so we can begin to trust and lean on You.  Grow us strong, LORD…we are needed by others, and there is no real strength without Christian maturity.

For You Today
C. S. Lewis wrote that he didn’t think God was necessarily concerned with us being happy in our circumstances, but rather wanted us to grow up and learn to love.
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road today.  Have a blessed day!
Go to VIDEO                                                                                                                  
Title Image:  Pixabay.com  Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©
For other posts on Christian Maturity see Life Off Track and The Confident Hope of All Saints

No comments:

Post a Comment