Thursday, December 16, 2021

Life in a Downward Spiral

 

Thursday, December 16, 2021

For God’s will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time.  Under the old covenant, the priest stands and ministers before the altar day after day, offering the same sacrifices again and again, which can never take away sins.  But our High Priest offered himself to God as a single sacrifice for sins, good for all time.  Then he sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand.  There he waits until his enemies are humbled and made a footstool under his feet.  For by that one offering he forever made perfect those who are being made holy.  And the Holy Spirit also testifies that this is so.  For he says, “This is the new covenant I will make with my people on that day, says the Lord:  I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.”  Then he says, “I will never again remember their sins and lawless deeds.”  And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices.  Hebrews 10:10-18

A common, but quite amazing phenomenon among Christians, is guilt that drives us over and over to seek God’s forgiveness.  Guilt is that sense of moral outrage against one’s own deeds because they offend our Creator, God (let’s call it “holy guilt”).  We seek God’s forgiveness because we understand deep inside us, there is no way to purge that uneasiness with the future while the past has such a deadening influence on our present.  We worry about facing God some day with whatever “forbidden fruit” we took still staining our hands.  In short, we become stuck, unable to move forward with life, because we are broken inside from self-condemnation.  We knew the cookie jar was off-limits, but we still have those crumbs to witness against us.  Our crime was first-degree.  We are guilty, so we labor under the downward-spiral load of guilt, until driven to God’s grace. 

But the most amazing, most puzzling reality (for me) is failing to accept the joy of being forgiven.  Instead of getting-up from the altar to live a joy-filled, abundant, overcoming life, we return to wallow in unforgiveness, rejecting that we are truly forgiven, and cleansed.  His Word declares it, but we sense such guilt that we live in fear of being condemned.  And then we even worry about the guilt being a manifestation of our unbelief…another sin.  As a result we sink further into the abyss, that downward-spiral of wondering how we can be saved at all if we can’t trust God to forgive what has been confessed?

The process I’ve just described is not something theoretical with me; this is something with which I’ve wrestled.  When much younger I struggled with wanting that which didn’t belong to me.  When I chose to take what belonged to another, guilt became my travelling companion.  It was real, overpowering, and (in hindsight) highly effective to drive me to confess my sin to God.  What I didn’t know then was the enemy would use the knowledge of my untrustworthiness to invade my walk with Christ for decades. 

I once heard a minister friend describe the enemy’s arsenal of weapons for the warfare he conducts against God’s family.  He said one of the tools of which Satan is particularly fond is accusatory guilt.  (One of the names Scripture dubs him is the accuser of our brothers and sisters)[1].  This accusation’s purpose is to destroy God’s joy in us, to falsely convict us of that which God has truly forgiven.  My friend’s word to his flock that day was:  If Satan can’t keep you out of Heaven, he will move mountains to make sure he ruins your witness here on Earth.

I’ve needed that word in my life.  It has helped a sinner experience grace, and true forgiveness.  Imperfect people need that!

For You Today

Do you know any imperfect people who are plagued with the downward-spiral of failing to live-into God’s forgiveness?  Could be you live with one, right inside your own skin.  If so, it’s time to shed that convict mentality; those whom God has forgiven are free to live, serve, and bless their God with joy unspeakable, and full of glory!

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!  

[1] Title and Other Images:  Pixabay.com  Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©   

For another post on this text see Never-Ending Sins

No comments:

Post a Comment