Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Child Of the King

 

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!  Your glory is higher than the heavens.  You have taught children and infants to tell of your strength,
silencing your enemies and all who oppose you.  When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—the moon and the stars you set in place—what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them?  Yet you made them only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honor.  You gave them charge of everything you made, putting all things under their authority—the flocks and the herds and all the wild animals, the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea, and everything that swims the ocean currents.  O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!  Psalm 8:1-9

My bride, Elizabeth and I were having a conversation the other day, reviewing the blessings of our life.  I happened to let a personalized version of Psalm 8 leak out of my brain, which tumbled out of my mouth.  I said:  I often think it just doesn’t make sense…what’s so special about me that God has showered so many blessings on my life? 

As soon as I heard what I was saying, the floodgate of thoughts burst through the control panels at the dam; it really isn’t that I’m that special, but there is a God Who IS special, indescribable, loving, and willing to lavish life and strength on those He claims as His own.  It’s nothing I have done (or refrained from doing), it just goes along with the territory of being his kid. 

The song I heard many years ago by Bill Gaither’s group remains married (in my brain) to this thought of Psalm 8:

Once I was clothed in the rags of my sin

Wretched and poor, lost and lonely within

But with wondrous compassion, the King of all kings

In pity and love, took me under His wings

Oh, yes, oh yes, I'm a child of the King

His royal blood now flows in my veins

And I who was wretched and poor now can sing

Praise God, praise God, I'm a child of the King[1]

So the answer to that age-old question of the Psalmist about why God would even think about humankind, let-alone bathe us in showers of blessing, is simple, as well as amazing and humbling:  What king wouldn’t love and bless His child?

For You Today 

If you cannot sing along with Gaither that His royal blood now flows in my veins, because you’ve never invited His Son, Jesus, to be your brother, you can do that this very moment.  It is the best, and only thing God has ever been waiting for you to do…He loves you that much!

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO (read by author)

There are about 2,500 devotional posts and 400 sermons in the Rocky Road Devotions library.  To dig deeper explore some of these:  Wondering About the Big Stuff - Part 1  and Wondering About the Big Stuff - Part 2 

Title Image: Pietro da Cortona, via Wikimedia Commons    Images without citation are in public domain.

Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©  



[1] Child of the King, Songwriter Cindy Walker, performed by Gaither Vocal Band – Listen HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment