Friday, April 24, 2015

C.S. Lewis - About Heaven

   
Friday, April 24, 2015
“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.”  1 Corinthians 2:9b (NLT)
C.S. Lewis answered letters written to him.  These letters, thousands of them, almost always asked questions; people wanted advice and understanding about the spiritual realm.  Lewis’  writings always struck a chord with readers in a precise and intriguing way. 
One lady, Mrs. Johnson, asked Lewis if Heaven was like one of the places in his children’s books.  The answer she got was easy enough for a child to grasp:
The good things even of this world are far too good ever to be reached by imagination. Even the common orange, you know: no one could have imagined it before he tasted it.  How much less Heaven.[1]

At the risk of contradicting the revered Dr. Lewis, you can imagine anything; that doesn’t necessarily mean you get it right – but you can put your mind to wondering about heaven. 
I’ve been doing that more lately.
I’ve been wondering a lot about my Mom recently, and what she’s doing in heaven.  I’m certain you also have loved ones you miss.  This is why we have questions about heaven.
Through Paul the apostle God said our imagination is not equipped to fully grasp the kind of place He is preparing for us.  That is an amazingly satisfying bit of knowledge for me. 
Somehow the smile of God is at back of that statement; it gives me great joy to know God has thought about me from before the cradle (Jeremiah 1:5) and nurtured me throughout my life here, and He has also made preparation for my walk with Him in eternity.  
If I can’t taste this orange, I can anticipate it with joy.  In fact, for me, just thinking about that physical orange waiting for me in the refrigerator can start my digestive juices flowing.  I savor that first bite. 
But there are so many different kinds of oranges; it’s almost like a new experience with each one.  This is where my imagination about the taste, texture and substance of the eternal orange of heaven takes me…off into wonder and humble questions.
I have many questions, and if I know little about what life will be like with Jesus in glory, I at least know it’s going to be better than anything my imagination can dream up.
And I rather think my mom, and her mom will be there to welcome me.  Having known their kindness in this life makes me think they will be there when I arrive, and they’ll have several oranges waiting for me, peeled and chilled!
Along with answers; lots of answers!

For You Today

What do you know of heaven?  Are you so filled with “why” questions that the joy of anticipating your heavenly home with Christ is turning the orange a little sour?

Take heart; the crop on that Tree of Life is new every month!

He said so!  (Revelation 22)
Can you see His smile now?



[1] The Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, Volume III: Narnia, Cambridge, and Joy 1950-1963. Copyright © 2007 by C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used with permission of HarperCollins Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment