Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Dawn

[1]   
Thursday, April 2, 2015
“And you, my little son, will be called the prophet of the Most High, because you will prepare the way for the Lord.  You will tell his people how to find salvation through forgiveness of their sins.  Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us, to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.”   Luke 1:76-78 (NLT)
I have been awake at dawn most of my life.  It’s not that I don’t like to sleep, or can’t; it’s just that the dawn attracts me like a light attracts moths.  There is something so peaceful about this earliest part of the day which clears my mind and calms my soul, even in the worst or noisiest weather; this portion of the day reassures my heart and strengthens my inner resolve for whatever the day will bring. 
For me there is no dread or apprehension in the early hours; I am most at peace at dawn.
And in writing about “the dawn” thoughts naturally turn to the realm of nature’s rhythm and the sun coming up.  I do just that, but there is also that spiritual dawn which is even greater and more life-sustaining than the physical sun’s light and warmth.
The Song of Zechariah in Luke’s Gospel records the spontaneous prayer of John the Baptist’s father, whose heart was exploding in praise for God’s deliverance.  You might recall that as an old man he couldn’t believe he and his wife would ever have a child, so he was silenced until belief dawned in his heart.  And when Zechariah finally believed, praise spilled-out like a gushing fountain.  Zechariah understood the dawn, because he understood the shadow of the death of unbelief!
Believing God’s promise brings the dawn of spiritual life!
God had promised a Savior, and to Elisabeth and Zechariah he had promised a son to be the Messiah’s forerunner, a voice crying in the wilderness which would help people prepare the way for the Lord’s coming.
It was dawn breaking through, and it was time for the dispelling of conflicts and doubts, the fightings and fears within, without.  It opened the way for us to come to God just as I am![2]    
The dawn of nature’s sun each morning is a wonderful time of quiet and contentment for me. 
And yet, that just a pint-sized preview of this spiritual-daybreak of the Son of God who gives me eternal peace, and sets my heart and life right with my Creator. 

For You Today

With Good Friday and Easter Sunday coming up this weekend, spiritual preparation is necessary to properly appreciate and celebrate what God has done for us.

Take time this day to let the dawn of God’s goodness break on your heart; let your soul sing-out with praise like Zechariah.

It’s a new day, and His mercy is like a shower of forgiving joy!




[1] Title Image: By Sebd, via Wikimedia Commons
[2] Charlotte Elliott, Just As I Am, UMC Hymnal #357

No comments:

Post a Comment