Monday, November 27, 2017

New City; Holy City

Monday, November 27, 2017
Then one of the seven angels who held the seven bowls containing the seven last plagues came and said to me, “Come with me!  I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.”  So he took me in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and he showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God.  It shone with the glory of God and sparkled like a precious stone—like jasper as clear as crystal.  Revelation 21:9-11(NLT)
Can you imagine moving into the New Jerusalem?  It's a new home we're talking about; it’s new in time and new in kind.  It's going to be so different; can you imagine:
·       Living without shame, guilt and sadness for past sins?
·       Living without sinful thoughts?
·       Slipping out to do good things, just because doing good feels so good? 
·       Living with complete trust towards other people? 
·       Never losing your temper?
The New Jerusalem will be like that; it will be a wonderful place to live. 
A little girl was walking with her father in the country.  There were no neon signs, no automobile headlights or streetlights.  It was a crisp evening.  As she looked into the deep blue velvet sky, studded with an array of diamonds that put the most dazzling Tiffany display to shame, she said, Daddy, if the wrong side of heaven is so beautiful, what do you think the right side will be like? 
We certainly have only a meager understanding of what our new home is going to be like.  But some people are willing to settle for so little.  Paul Azinger is a professional golfer.  He is a dedicated Christian man, and some time ago he had a major struggle with lymphatic cancer.  He wrote about it, and how his priorities have changed so dramatically,
My friend Mike got on an airplane one day and saw one of the strangest things he had ever seen in his life.  The man sitting next to him in first class was dressed in a bathrobe and slippers.  The man's seat was a beautiful leather chair, but my friend's was simply made of fabric.  The man said to my friend.  I see you have noticed my chair. This chair is made of the finest leathers money can buy.  Then my friend noticed that the man had a mahogany tray table.  Again, the man said, Ahh, you have noticed my gorgeous tray table.  My friend looked up and saw that the guy had a ceiling fan.  The rich man was also surrounded by a VCR, a television set, a CD player, and a computer.
My friend was flabbergasted.  He asked the rich man, why would anyone go to the expense to have all these things installed in an airplane?  The man replied bluntly, because this is my home.
My friend thought, what a shame! A place that was intended to be a journey, he has made his home.[2]

For You Today

 How appropriate for us to remember that the place we're now living in and on, is not our home.  We're looking for a new home, a New Jerusalem, the City of God.
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!
Go to VIDEO


[1] Title Image: Courtesy of Pixabay.com
[2]Paul Azinger, Zinger, (Zondervan, 1995),  216. 

No comments:

Post a Comment