Wednesday, November 15, 2017

No More Sermons

Wednesday, November 15, 2017
“The day is coming,” says the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah.  This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand and brought them out of the land of Egypt.  They broke that covenant, though I loved them as a husband loves his wife,” says the Lord.  “But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel after those days,” says the Lord.  “I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts.  I will be their God, and they will be my people.  And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the Lord.’ For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already,” says the Lord.  “And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.” 
Jeremiah 31:31-34(NLT)
At my age I’m a lot closer to my last sermon than my first one.  I’ve often said (mostly after conducting a funeral) that the way I’d prefer to go out doesn’t involve a hospital room, tubes and waiting for the inevitable.  As much as I value the wonderful work of all our healing and palliative care professionals, such as Hospice, I don’t want to be a client.  Rather I would love to have it be on a Sunday, God having allowed and strengthened me to preach the best sermon of my life; sometime during my afternoon siesta I suddenly awaken and find myself in the splendor of heaven!  But of course, the most important part of that scenario is not a sermon; the best part is seeing Jesus!
Jeremiah gave us a peek at the end of the preaching profession; there will come a time when all the preaching is over.  When the New Covenant is finally put into its perfect fulfillment there will be no need for sermonizing; God will write every part of his will and way on our hearts, meaning love will have been completed.  There will be no need for teaching or preaching, because we will live it as God first intended for humans to act when he placed Adam and Eve in the garden.
God will forgive all our past wickedness and never bring it up again.  We will live in perfect relationship to God.  As John the beloved apostle wrote:
Dear friends, we are already God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is.  1 John 3:2(NLT)

For You Today

None of us is perfect; we all sin through error or, at times, willful disobedience.  Nevertheless, our task is to press-on for the prize of that high calling in Jesus Christ[2] – to be perfected in love.  Today is a good day to move forward in that project!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!
Go to VIDEO

[1] Title Image: Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
[2] Philippians 3:14

No comments:

Post a Comment