Wednesday, December 13, 2017

All the Days of My Life

Wednesday, December 13, 2017
The one thing I ask of the Lord—the thing I seek most—is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, delighting in the Lord’s perfections and meditating in his Temple.  For he will conceal me there when troubles come; he will hide me in his sanctuary.  He will place me out of reach on a high rock.  Then I will hold my head high above my enemies who surround me.  At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy, singing and praising the Lord with music.  Hear me as I pray, O Lord.  Be merciful and answer me!  My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.”  And my heart responds, “Lord, I am coming.”  Do not turn your back on me.  Do not reject your servant in anger.  You have always been my helper.  Don’t leave me now; don’t abandon me, O God of my salvation!  Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close.  Teach me how to live, O Lord.  Lead me along the right path, for my enemies are waiting for me.  Do not let me fall into their hands.  For they accuse me of things I’ve never done; with every breath they threaten me with violence.  Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.  Wait patiently for the Lord.  Be brave and courageous.  Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.
Psalm 27:4-14(NLT)
David’s heart-prayer in this Psalm is the rambling of a soul struggling to make sense between the glories and joy of heaven and the troubles that swamp him here on earth.  And while the prayer explores back and forth like a spelunker trying to find the slightest bit of light to lead him out of the cave’s darkness, there is a theme you cannot miss; David is certain his heart belongs to God.
The experiences of joyful worship (shouts of joy, singing and praising the Lord with music) are just that – moments of unbridled worship and expressions of love for God.  But the heart that offers such praise is only genuinely able to worship that way when the bridge away from God’s presence has been burned.  David has heard the call of God to come and talk with me and his immediate response is o Lamb of God, I come
(Reading this Psalm is like watching the end of a Billy Graham crusade.)
The final phrases of this Psalm are the same approach to living that captured my heart many years ago: 
Wait patiently for the Lord.  Be brave and courageous.  Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.
It’s not that I haven’t made mistakes with this.  There have been times of running ahead of the Lord, not waiting.  There have been times of fear and the temptation to make cowardly choices.  But in all such times, even when I trembled over what might be a wrong decision, a deep breath and trusting God have never let me down. 

For You Today

When you don’t know what to do, and can’t muster up anything to say that sounds remotely intelligent, safe, or doable…throw your lot in with King David, a fellow traveler and sinner:
All the days of my life, O Lamb, I come to you!
And, by the way, a better time to do that is when things are going well!  Think what God can do with you when that face already has a smile on it!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO



[1] Title Image: Courtesy of Pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment