Friday, December 22, 2017

The Humanity of a Hero

Friday, December 22, 2017
I will sing of the Lord’s unfailing love forever!  Young and old will hear of your faithfulness.  Your unfailing love will last forever.  Your faithfulness is as enduring as the heavens.  The Lord said, “I have made a covenant with David, my chosen servant.  I have sworn this oath to him:  ‘I will establish your descendants as kings forever; they will sit on your throne from now until eternity.’”   Interlude
Long ago you spoke in a vision to your faithful people.  You said, “I have raised up a warrior.  I have selected him from the common people to be king.  I have found my servant David.  I have anointed him with my holy oil.  I will steady him with my hand; with my powerful arm I will make him strong.  His enemies will not defeat him, nor will the wicked overpower him.  I will beat down his adversaries before him and destroy those who hate him.  My faithfulness and unfailing love will be with him, and by my authority he will grow in power.  I will extend his rule over the sea, his dominion over the rivers.  And he will call out to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation.’  
Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26(NLT)
David was a shepherd, musician, author, warrior, and the most celebrated king of Israel.  In choosing David as successor to Saul, God promised the strength of heaven would be on this new king; enemies would be defeated in the name of JHWH, and his kingdom would extend to the end of the earth through his descendants.  The only enemy God never promised could not defeat King David was…King David!
Scripture tells us that David’s life was a life of struggling with bears and lions when he was a shepherd.  Then, in King Saul’s palace, it was a struggle to survive the mercurial mood swings of the demented king who was jealous of David’s popularity with people.  When David became king he struggled to unite the kingdom under his throne.  But when his struggles all turned to victory and the spoils of conquest made him wealthy and powerful beyond measure, it was the selfishness of his free human will that crumbled the very promises and power of God that had given him everything.
In the spring of the year, when kings normally go out to war, David sent Joab and the Israelite army to fight the Ammonites.  They destroyed the Ammonite army and laid siege to the city of Rabbah. However, David stayed behind in Jerusalem.  Late one afternoon, after his midday rest, David got out of bed and was walking on the roof of the palace.  As he looked out over the city, he noticed a woman of unusual beauty taking a bath.  He sent someone to find out who she was, and he was told, “She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite.”  Then David sent messengers to get her; and when she came to the palace, he slept with her…. Later…she sent David a message, saying, “I’m pregnant.”  
2 Samuel 11:1-5(NLT)
The story is as mystifying as it is common.  The one thing David demonstrated throughout his lifetime was integrity – keeping a pure heart before God, and acting with righteousness towards everyone.  When he chose against that integrity he chose to unravel everything worthwhile God had given:  the trust of the people of Israel, his family unity, and his own peace of mind.
But this is the legacy of sin; we choose it, and it owns us.
But, as Paul wrote:  Thank God for this gift too wonderful for words!  2 Corinthians 9:15(NLT)
Like David, all of us have chosen selfishly; and like David we can all be forgiven.  It is the will of God to forgive those who confess and repent of sin.  No exceptions!
I guess I love the Bible because it’s such an open book; it presents even the most revered heroes as human in every way – good and bad, warts and all…it’s all there for our instruction.

For You Today

David was a hero, and he was as human as they come.  He was forgiven, and that means there’s hope for you too!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO



[1] Title Image: Courtesy of Pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment