Thursday, June 9, 2022

The Name Which is ABOVE Every Other Name

 

Thursday, June 9, 2022

…at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,  Philippians 2:10


I would ask you to keep in mind this morning that this is my front yard.  The flagpole belonged to my Dad before I inherited it.  You will notice the flag is at half-staff, in memory of the school children and teachers who lost their lives in Uvalde, Texas, and those who were victims, both wounded, and all the families who, in shock and grief, mourn their losses, still today, and for a lifetime. 

I take great care, when hoisting or lowering the flag, to do it respectfully, never allowing it to drag on the ground, or remain unfolded, soiled, or torn.  I respect the flag, and the country for which it stands.  Scripture tells me that Jesus said I should give honor to whom honor is due.  I pay attention to that.

That is one reason why I have trouble seeing this in so many church yards.  Of the three flags flying, the American flag is given the place of prominence, while the Christian flag comes in no better than a tie for second place with the State flag of North Carolina.  As previously mentioned, I honor our flag and all for which it stands; As a disciple of Jesus, I cannot place country over Christ, under any circumstance.

To those who would, out of good conscience disagree (and I do not judge the state of anyone else’s conscience), I will not engage in an argument over this.  If a person wishes to display a flag, it is that person’s preroggative.  But that flag says something about the person (or in this case, church) that displays it.  To those who would say it is law to hoist Old Glory higher than any other flag, I would offer the US Legal Code concerning flags, which states:

When displayed from a staff in a church or public auditorium, the flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence….[1]

The code is just that, a statement of etiquette about the right way to display a flag.  It is a matter not of legal prohibition, with penalty, but simply a matter of social deference, or submission to societal pressure.  This is etiquette (code) not law.  There is no penalty, federal, or otherwise.  It may be offensive, however, so the more reasonable solution would be to not display the American flag in worship or at the church at all, except for the times when there is an event that appropriately requires[2] a flag.  This suggests also that the Christian flag should not be displayed during such an event or gathering.

Let me assure you I’m aware that Jesus told us to be good citizens.  The dilemma arises when we try to limit that to which tribe we’re honoring.  I am to be a good citizen of my country…and I endeavour to the fullest extent.  But I have dual citizenship; I belong to another land, to which I am bound at an exceedingly higher level and price.  And I will raise no flag higher than that country’s!

For You Today

The Apostle Peter told the authorities:

“We must obey God rather than any human authority.  Acts 5:29

This is required of Christians if they really want to be good citizens.  And honoring no name or country above the name of Jesus with flag or mouth, is the criteria!

Godliness makes a nation great, but sin is a disgrace to any people.  Proverbs 14:34

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road with Jesus; have a blessed day!  

[1] Images:  Pixabay.com   Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©  


[2] This is problematic, since Congress also makes no laws regarding the free exercise of worship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment