Friday, June 10, 2022

UNITED

 

Friday, June 10, 2022

Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God.  Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love.  Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace.  For there is one body and one Spirit, just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future.  There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all, in all, and living through all.  

Ephesians 4:1-6

There is a lot said about the need for being united as families, friends, citizens, churches, all the myriads of groups, organizations, and, in short, members of the human race.  There is also much written and spoken on the topic of how to achieve that in any culture.  The Apostle Paul’s words to people he loved dearly, the believers at Ephesus, contain the key to unity, a singularly-effective habit for cultivating unity…he encourages them to always be humble and gentle, patient, and magnanimous. 

This describes the character of those who are easy to be around.  The opposite of this would be bragging, raging, intolerant, and selfish.  And when you unpack it that way, easy to be around and difficult to be around are not hard to distinguish.  The former is a calm ride through a quiet park on a Sunday afternoon; the latter is a wild-ride on a carnival roller-coaster.  It’s hardly necessary to say it, but, while the latter may be more exciting, the former promotes peaceful ability to think.

Jesus put an eternal view on unity.  In fact His priestly prayer for each of us centers on how important God views our unity:

“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message.  I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you.  And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.  “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one.  I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.  John 17:20-23

Each of the characteristics Paul lists in his encouragement towards unity for the Ephesian believers (and us), humble, gentle, patient, and magnanimous, are the personal traits we are to cultivate – it has nothing at all to do with telling the other person how to behave, or faulting the other person for destroying unity.

Edgar Cayce put it this way: 

For You Today

Guess I’ll work on my patience today…gently…that would be magnanimous!

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road with Jesus; have a blessed day!  

[1] Images:  Pixabay.com   Unless noted, Scripture quoted from The New Living Translation©   



No comments:

Post a Comment