Monday, May 19, 2014

Success

Tuesday, May 20, 2014
I don’t mean to say I am perfect.  I haven’t learned all I should even yet, but I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ saved me for and wants me to be.  No, dear brothers, I am still not all I should be, but I am bringing all my energies to bear on this one thing:  Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God is calling us up to heaven because of what Christ Jesus did for us.    Philippians 3:12 - 14 (TLB)
In the early 1960’s at the University of Florida, at the football team’s practice sessions, one of the linemen, a huge tackle by the name of Jack Katz, was winning every sprint across the field against the other large linemen.  He was the fastest “big man” they had.
Katz asked Coach Ray Graves if he might run sprints with the running backs (who are somewhat smaller and faster than linemen).  Permission was granted.  For the next several days Katz managed to finish last in every race with the backfield runners.  Nobody was surprised.
Coach Graves asked Katz, “Wouldn’t you rather be a winner with the linemen, than a loser with the backs?”
Katz responded, “I’m not out here to outrun the linemen.  I already know I can do that.  I’m here to learn how to run faster; and if you’ve not noticed, I’m losing by a little less every day.”[1]
Jack Katz had a mission, and it wasn’t to be the star of the linemen.  He wanted to be the best help to his team he possibly could.  The Apostle Paul had the same kind of attitude for his team, God’s church.  Paul was striving not for personal goals, agenda or fame.  Paul wanted to be the very best servant he could for Jesus Christ, because he knew the church would prosper with his unselfish best effort.
Many people settle for being a “star” – winning the accolades of a few, while missing heaven’s best by a mile.

Today…for you

What will your purpose be today?  

Are you going to settle for winning a few wind sprints with the people you already know you can beat?  Or are you going to run with the best, for the best reasons?



[1] Adapted from Pace/Piedmont Airlines magazine, 1980

No comments:

Post a Comment