Monday, February 5, 2018

Finding Compassion on Death Row

Monday, February 5, 2018
Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2(NLT)
In 1999 Steven King’s story debuted as a movie called The Green Mile.  The story is about a man wrongly-convicted of murder, and his last days on death row.  If you’ve never seen the movie I’ll try not to be a spoiler, but this tale is of redemption and finding compassion on Death Row.  John Coffey is condemned to die and the chief security officer, Paul Edgecomb (played by Tom Hanks) is convinced of Coffey’s innocence. 
Another “Paul” who lived two thousand years before this time laid-out for us in one sentence what it took Steven King’s story 3 hours to present as a drama – we should help each other bear the troubles and trials that would destroy us.
Throughout the story John Coffey does just that.  He is supposed to be a cold-blooded murderer of two pre-teen girls, but every time he is in the presence of someone else’s trouble he takes it back (supernaturally) as his own.  Of course King’s character is a type of Jesus Christ who bore the sins of all humankind on the cross.
He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed.  1 Peter 2:24(NLT)
Paul Edgecomb has experienced the healing power of John Coffey taking the guard’s trouble, relieving him of excruciating pain.  And Paul’s quandary is that he must now strap that gentle giant into Ol’ Lightning, the electric chair, and give the order to kill him.
Here is part of the dialogue as the execution draws near:
Paul Edgecomb: On the day of my judgment, when I stand before God, and He asks me why did I kill one of his true miracles, what am I gonna say? That it was my job? My job?
John Coffey: You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do. I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?
Paul Edgecomb: Yes, John. I think I can.[2]
The story’s main message for me is that one can begin to understand the healing power of compassion only when one has experienced it firsthand.
And that is why the cross is meaningful only to those who truly believe and are converted to Christ.

For You Today

Let me allow John Coffey to have the last word; as he asked Paul:
Can you understand?
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!

Go to VIDEO


[1] Title Image By Jack Boucher, via Wikimedia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment