Wednesday, February 7, 2018

When HOPE Becomes a Distant Memory

Wednesday, February 7, 2018
Then Job spoke again:  “If my misery could be weighed and my troubles be put on the scales, they would outweigh all the sands of the sea.  That is why I spoke impulsively.  For the Almighty has struck me down with his arrows.  Their poison infects my spirit.  God’s terrors are lined up against me.  Don’t I have a right to complain?  Don’t wild donkeys bray when they find no grass, and oxen bellow when they have no food?  Don’t people complain about unsalted food?  Does anyone want the tasteless white of an egg?  My appetite disappears when I look at it; I gag at the thought of eating it!  “Oh, that I might have my request, that God would grant my desire.  I wish he would crush me.  I wish he would reach out his hand and kill me.  At least I can take comfort in this:  Despite the pain, I have not denied the words of the Holy One.  But I don’t have the strength to endure.  I have nothing to live for.  Do I have the strength of a stone?  Is my body made of bronze?  No, I am utterly helpless, without any chance of success.  Job 6:1-13 (NLT)
Not many people want the experience, let alone the responsibility of looking into the face of the kind of suffering which robs people of all hope.  As a pastor I have visited people in that condition.  You would think that is reserved for nursing homes or prison cells, or hospice houses only.  But you find the absence of hope in places you’d think it should flourish:  board rooms, school rooms, saloons, and sanctuaries; in these places and more there are people like Job, sitting in the pain of their boils and memories.

What do you do when faith in the future hits rock bottom?  The simple answer you hear all the time in church is:  Turn to God; He won’t let you down.  But what if you’ve already turned to God and you’re still suffering physically, emotionally, intellectually, and in every other imaginable way?  This was Job’s condition.  He’d never denied God, yet there were those boils covering his body, oozing the life from him, painful on his bed no matter which way he turned.  There was his wife, whispering the euthanasia option to end his pain.  There were his friends trying to sweat a confession out of Job, wearing him down with argument and rationale as to how he must have sinned to get God this mad at him; all this company, but no comfort.  And there particularly was the indelible memory of his houseful of children, all killed in the collapse of a building. 

The one thing Job would have given every final ounce of mortal strength in his body to hear was totally absent.  The poor, suffering shell of a man wanted only a simple reassurance from heaven that his life was not in vain; he wanted God.  Job wanted God to speak into his life a word of assurance.  He wanted to know there was hope for him.

The Good News is that did happen…and more!  The end of the story is that Job was comforted by God for all the stuff life did to him.  In fact, on balance, the end of his life was better than all previous years by quite a margin.

So the Lord blessed Job in the second half of his life even more than in the beginning.  Job 42:12(NLT)

But the best part of that Good news is Job got the one thing he couldn’t hope without; Job got the hand of God to massage his spiritual heart back to hope.  Like the lady says in the back surgery commercial:  Job could live again!

For You Today

Is your “hope tank” running kind of low? 

Job thought his was empty…but he turned to the only real hope that exists, the Lord God, who also said:  I will never leave or forsake you.(Hebrews 13:5)

You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road…have a blessed day!

Watch Devotion:  VIDEO



[1] Title Image Courtesy of Pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment