Tuesday, February 13, 2018

I Shall See Him

Tuesday, February 13, 2018
“Oh, that my words could be recorded.  Oh, that they could be inscribed on a monument, carved with an iron chisel and filled with lead, engraved forever in the rock.  “But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last.  And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God!  I will see him for myself.  Yes, I will see him with my own eyes.  I am overwhelmed at the thought!  Job 19:23-27(NLT)
Graveyards are two things to me:  interesting and solemn.  Whenever I am around a cemetery I cannot help but wander around looking at the dates on headstones.  The solemn atmosphere brings a curiosity on me.  I look for creative or memorable phrases etched on the stones that tell you something of the character or nature of the person whose body lies beneath.  When you see the picture of a farmer on his tractor, you know that person was a man of the soil.  You often see the phrase beloved, wife and mother. 
You also see some gallows humor.  My favorite is on a Florida cemetery headstone[2] where the guy just wanted the last word once in his life…or death…I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK!

Job, the eternal icon of suffering, also wanted his words etched on a rock.  But his words were not gallows humor, or a snarky parting shot at someone or life in general.  Job’s final word to this world is:  this ain’t over yet!
From a 21st century Christian perspective, that is no new news; every Christian funeral is filled with signposts that point to resurrection, life in heaven, and assurance of eternity.  However, in the ancient times when Job lived (remember Job is generally thought to be the oldest of all the Bible’s books), afterlife, or anything good at all after the grave, were seen as foolish.  Even in Jesus’ day the Sadducees did not believe in resurrection. 
So Job’s acclamation, that in his flesh, after his flesh and bones rotted in the ground, he would see God…well, that was quite a bold and prophetic statement.  It’s a statement I’ve come to rely-on, cling-to, and believe to the very inner core of my being.  I have come to this point of absolute certainty of seeing God face to face because of Jesus’ invitation to come where the mansions are surrounding the throne of God.  In writing about eternity the Apostle Paul put it this way:
And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world.  1 Corinthians 15:19(NLT)
Paul understood what Jesus wanted us to know:  a God who is as loving as JHWH never intended for us to have eternity without fellowship in the center of His joy.
For You Today
When you think of Job, try to take less of his image of suffering and pain, and more of the lesson of his faith in the eternal God of restoration. 
Keep remembering:  it ain’t over yet!
You chew on that as you hit the Rocky Road; have a blessed day.

Go to VIDEO



[1] Title Image:  Courtesy of Pixabay.com
[2] WBUR, January 2, 2017, web blog

No comments:

Post a Comment