Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Arms of God

Friday, December 12, 2014
When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden.  So they hid from the Lord God among the trees.  Then the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”  He replied, “I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.”  “Who told you that you were naked?” the Lord God asked.  “Have you eaten from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat?”  The man replied, “It was the woman you gave me who gave me the fruit, and I ate it.”  Then the Lord God asked the woman, “What have you done?”   Genesis 3:8-13 (NLT)
I could be wrong, but I have a notion that had Adam and Eve confessed their sin instead of trying to wiggle off the hook, God’s forgiveness might have been instantaneous, and the cross would have been unnecessary.  But our first parents did what we’re still doing – hide and evade.

It strikes me as strange that we do that.  God’s whole message to us in Scripture has been “I love you”.  His whole desire and command has been “Love me…be close to me”. 
Instead of a life filled with worship, love, and deep, loving relationship with Jesus our Redeemer, we content ourselves with building our empires and monuments that are no grander than the Tower of Babel.

We should never be content to dabble in earthly stuff when our Heavenly Father’s door is wide open to us.  Neither should we be afraid.  In my home here on earth there is no need for laws and police.  I am loved there (even my dog likes me…..sometimes).  My wife loves and cares for me; there is nowhere on earth where I am safer, calmer, and happier – or a place I more desire than the home with which God has blessed me.  Yet, my Heavenly Father’s home, and His open arms are overwhelmingly better than anything I’ve ever experienced on earth.

Most of you know I’m a bit of a “movie hound”.   One of my recent favorites is “John Adams” a TV miniseries docudrama on the struggle for the birth of this nation, and particularly the man who would become our second president. 

Adams was a driven man who spent months away from home very often in the service of the young country.  One scene in the movie has Adams’ wife Abigail so despondent and lonely that she is up past midnight crying as she is cleaning windows. 

Her young daughter, Nabby finds her and gently tries to reassure her mother that they are not forgotten.  Abigail is so distracted and distraught she rebuffs her daughter and attempts to go on with her miserable night.  In one of the tenderest expressions of love and trust I’ve seen in a long time, Nabby works her way into her mother’s embrace.[1]

For many of us the God we see in Noah’s flood, destroying continents of people; the God who rains down fire on Sodom and Gomorrah and promises judgment for this and punishment for that – we are a little intimidated and afraid.  Indeed! 

But our God is a loving God; the arms of God are more open than you know. 
His arms are like the arms of Abigail Adams in that movie scene.  He is waiting for each of us to work our way into His embrace. 

For you, today

Don’t be afraid…press close.  Remember, it’s your heart He’s after!



[1] John Adams, from HBO Films, 2008, Part III, Scene:  To Compel Compliance 48:51

No comments:

Post a Comment